Canon MB2100 series photo paper ink won't dry

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If it were only a problem of poor inkflow, clogs, bad colors, etc.. then in all likelihood the culprit would be either the aftermarket carts, a damaged printhead or wrong software settings, but the present issue has nothing to do with the printer. If the ink won’t dry it’s either the paper or the ink.
You could get a syringe and pour directly a few droplets of this ink over the luster paper and the results would be the same.

What seems almost impossible is that the same ink on the same paper did well for some time and then, after a nozzle cleaning, suddenly it wouldn’t dry. I’ve heard and seen many kind of strange happenings related to printers but this is a true contender for a Guinness record.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I tried everything except to get OEM cartridges because they are so expensive and I'll be really pissed if I paid all that money and that ends up not being the problem.
Actually, if the problem persists despite using OEM paper and OEM inks then you have a warranty claim. This would be a good thing, like maybe a new printer from Canon.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm going to contact Canon tech support
You are using aftermarket inks. Canon does not respond well to problems that arise in the context of using aftermarket cartridges or inks. Please take my hints to use ALL new OEM cartridges first.

Stop printing anything other than nozzle checks until ink flow issues are resolved. Continued printing without the coolant effect of ink may cause permanent burnout of nozzles.

Do print a nozzle check, scan, crop and post here.

amhamp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB2100 series
If it were only a problem of poor inkflow, clogs, bad colors, etc.. then in all likelihood the culprit would be either the aftermarket carts, a damaged printhead or wrong software settings, but the present issue has nothing to do with the printer. If the ink won’t dry it’s either the paper or the ink.
You could get a syringe and pour directly a few droplets of this ink over the luster paper and the results would be the same.

What seems almost impossible is that the same ink on the same paper did well for some time and then, after a nozzle cleaning, suddenly it wouldn’t dry. I’ve heard and seen many kind of strange happenings related to printers but this is a true contender for a Guinness record.
Yes it's weird. Someone suggested the drop of ink on the paper earlier and it dried just like it always had. Also, it started not printing yellow again, I did a clean and the test print was worse so I did a deep clean and only the yellow came back, then I tried an alignment and the cyan came back but the color mix is off, the grays on the finished test page are muddy colors instead of the gray they should be and the over all print colors are off. All of that happened within 30 min. I don't know what is going on.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The more you run that printer on those inks, the worse it's getting.. Post a nozzle check…

amhamp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB2100 series
I called Canon tech support today and he had me try a number of things (many were suggested by you guys) and doesn't know what's going on. He doesn't think it's the ink because it's only affecting the luster paper. It may be that this section of the paper pack has an issue with it's coating, so he asked me to order a new pack of the paper and shut down my printer until it come in on Wed. and see if that is it. If not, they'll take this printer back and give me a new one since it's still under warranty. I hope it's the paper because I don't want to be without a printer for that long. Thanks for your suggestions and your time, I really appreciate every ones help.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
my current assumtions in this case are

- you possibly print on the wrong side of the paper

Someone suggested the drop of ink on the paper earlier and it dried just like it always had.
The same ink - on the same paper type - what makes a difference if you drop the ink or print with it ? The paper has 2 distinctively different sides - one absorbs the ink into the coating - and the other side is a PE film to which aqueous ink does not adhere at all - so just do a test - print on both sides of the same piece of paper

What seems almost impossible is that the same ink on the same paper did well for some time and then, after a nozzle cleaning, suddenly it wouldn’t dry.

The cartridges are most likely the problem - it could be

If it were only a problem of poor inkflow, clogs, bad colors, etc.. then in all likelihood the culprit would be either the aftermarket carts, a damaged printhead or wrong software settings, but the present issue has nothing to do with the printer.

My current assumption is the same - it's a cartridge problem - the ink flow is impeded - either directly e.g. by a mechanical mismatch - or the vent hole is not open thus not letting the ink to get out. You may have removed the tab - most likely yellow , but I have seen it several times that vent holes were not open - a very thin film was still covering the vent hole.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If not, they'll take this printer back and give me a new one since it's still under warranty. I hope it's the paper because I don't want to be without a printer for that long.
And it’s not still under warrantee because you’ve used 3rd parting inks in it..
Go back to your OEM cartridges and use OEM inks before the print head is Fubar completely.. these printer are forgiving, but they have limits..
Question:- if you use the printer for business, then why aren’t you using OEM ink, you’re wasting much more money on good paper..
Post a nozzle check please..

P.S. And try the suggestion of using the other side of the paper..:hu

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
There seems to be two kind of problems, apparently not related at all:

1- ink won’t dry on Canon luster
2- yellow channel not printing.

In the second case, there’re 95% of probabilities of being a faulty aftermarket cartridge or ink.

The first issue is very hard to explain, unless @amhamp is printing on the wrong side of the paper, That could happen by accident one time but not afterwards. He has been using this paper for quite a while and surely knows well which is the good side

Maybe it’s worth to remove the cartridges to see if some of them are leaking, for instance. That might produce a huge excess of ink poured into the paper and a very, very long drying time,
I admit that that's a very far fetched explanation because if none of the inks dry normally, it seems almost impossible that the four carts suddenly became faulty together.

@amhamp, what about different media, as plain paper or photo glossy/matt, do they dry normally or not ?