Canon ip90 makes noises, blinks 2 colors and can't find software.

feedthestinkykitty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi
I found this nifty ip90 that I would like to take on vacations. I installed new carts that have not dried out. When I turn it on and it is not plugged into the PC the green lights, 2 pages cycle through. There is a loud noise as if something is grinding but it could be something else. The light begins to flash yellow then green repeatedly. When I removed the printer head and blot the bottom there is no ink left in the tissue.
When I attempt to start it with the PC to run cleaning cycles the Canon software says that it is not connected. The troubleshooting program tells me to download drivers which I did. The printer shows in the devices and printers.
I suspect a mechanical problem but I am nervous taking it apart. Any experience with this?
Thanks

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know the iP90, but you find a link to the service manual and the parts catalog in this post. Notice the link to the download instruction.

The blink pattern is a code telling the error, it can be deciphered with the help of the service manual. So what is the blink pattern and are there any error messages on the computer screen?

Last edited:

feedthestinkykitty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry to take so long to reply. Ran into a problem that took me away.
I misunderstood the blink pattern before. I now see that it is 4 blinks which means incorrectly installed ink tanks. They were sealed genuine Canon tanks which I installed properly. These tanks came with it when I got it at a yard sale a year ago but they were sealed and have ink. They are latched down as is the print head. When the printer is turned on, connected to the PC or not, it runs 2 sheets of paper through, buzzes harshly for 1 second then stops and blinks 4 times.
I have made a lot of progress with the software and I think the printer will work if I can get past the ink tank problem. I was having driver installation troubles but they seem OK now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
PS Thanks for the link to the service manual. Electrotanya is great!
PPS SM states that bad chip in cart could be a problem so I just ordered a pair of aftermarket. We shall. see.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The behaviour of your iP90 is very similar to the that of the iP3500 in this thread, so I studied the iP90 service manual and discovered that it is only a supplementary manual covering only the differences from the base model which is i70, so you will also need the i70 service manual.

One of the things missing in the iP90 manual is the table of service call errors. A service call error of 4 alternating blinks in orange and green is a purge unit error. I think this is much more likely than that the error is an operator call error meaning problems with ink cart recognition. Notice the difference in blink patterns between operator call errors and service call errors.

The i70 service manual that is the basis for the iP90 service manual is also found at electrotanya, link here. See page 1-4 for tables of error codes.

feedthestinkykitty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The behaviour of your iP90 is very similar to the that of the iP3500 in this thread, so I studied the iP90 service manual and discovered that it is only a supplementary manual covering only the differences from the base model which is i70, so you will also need the i70 service manual.

One of the things missing in the iP90 manual is the table of service call errors. A service call error of 4 alternating blinks in orange and green is a purge unit error. I think this is much more likely than that the error is an operator call error meaning problems with ink cart recognition. Notice the difference in blink patterns between operator call errors and service call errors.

The i70 service manual that is the basis for the iP90 service manual is also found at electrotanya, link here. See page 1-4 for tables of error codes.
Thank you for spending the time to help figure this out. I have downloaded the SM and will dig into this tomorrow. I love Electrotanya!
I have seen Purge unit error mentioned a number of times for this series and that makes sense. I will check out that other post now. I am fixing this unit for my own use when we do road trips and I really appreciate the help.
PS I saw the vid from the other post. Same noise exactly!

feedthestinkykitty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
From what I read in the i70 SM I must replace the Print Unit QM2-0290. Nothing else is mentioned. I see there is a new one for $14 on ebay. Should I just buy that and install it or are their other things to try first? If it came to that I'd pay for one but is that the right thing? What do you think?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Even if some repair procedures are the same for the i70 and the iP90, the parts numbers are most likely different. A print unit for the i70 will most likely not fit the iP90. The parts catalog for the iP90 that should be included in the download from electrotanya seems to have no mentioning of a print unit, instead there is a purge unit with the parts number QM2-2024-000.

The Product Service Details, iP90psd also in the download from electrotanya has a print unit with the parts number QM2-2020-000. Some of the info that was omitted in the service manual is found in this product service detail. I admit this is confusing, what should you search for? a print unit or a purge unit? I don't know.

I suggest to first check that movable parts of the purge unit are free to move and not stuck in old ink. Q-tips and a window cleaner with ammonia like the "Original Windex with Ammonia-D" or other brand if you are not located in the US can be used for cleaning the purge unit.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I also found the print unit in the parts catalog for iP90. It is on page 3 of 5, item 7 in figure 6. The parts number is QM2-2020-000 as in the Product Service Detail. My guess is that the purge unit is a part of the larger print unit. I think changing the print unit might be easier than changing the purge unit.

But the repair suggestions in the service manual and Product Service Detail are based on the most likely causes of errors, there is no guarantee that changing a part will cure the printer. Another question is price and availability of spare parts.