Canon ip8720 purge cycle

ksuttonphoto

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip8720
Does the ip8720 perform a purge cycle of all inks when you replace a single color ?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The printer has got one pigment black cartridge and five dye colour/black cartridges. When you do a manual cleaning of the nozzles you can select clean all, clean pigment black nozzles only and clean all dye nozzles only.

A cartridge change triggers a nozzle clean but i cannot tell what type of cleaning is done.

The information about types of cleaning and ink amount used is found only in a few Canon service manuals, and the service manual for the iP8720 is nowhere available.

Here is a clip from the iP4000 service manual:

iP4000 ink amount.jpg

I think it is not quite clear what happens when a pigment cartridge is changed and what happens when a dye cartridge is changed. But changing pigment cartridge at least uses ink from that cartridge, and changing a dye cartridge at least uses ink from all dye cartridges in the cleaning following the cartridge change. Some refillers change all cartridges when one cartridge runs low. This way you save a lot of ink going to the ink absorbers and so also extends the life of the ink absorbers.

ksuttonphoto

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip8720
The printer has got one pigment black cartridge and five dye colour/black cartridges. When you do a manual cleaning of the nozzles you can select clean all, clean pigment black nozzles only and clean all dye nozzles only.

A cartridge change triggers a nozzle clean but i cannot tell what type of cleaning is done.

The information about types of cleaning and ink amount used is found only in a few Canon service manuals, and the service manual for the iP8720 is nowhere available.

View attachment 11355

I think it is not quite clear what happens when a pigment cartridge is changed and what happens when a dye cartridge is changed. But changing pigment cartridge at least uses ink from that cartridge, and changing a dye cartridge at least uses ink from all dye cartridges in the cleaning following the cartridge change. Some refillers change all cartridges when one cartridge runs low. This way you save a lot of ink going to the ink absorbers and so also extends the life of the ink absorbers.
As I suspected.
Thank you for the details !

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score

View attachment 11355

The Pigment Black in the table looks approximately what I tested,
However the dye ink is an order of magnitude more at approximately 2 times or 0.6ml. This was confirmed on two printers a TS8220 and TS5020.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...excessive-ink-consumption-real-results.14371/

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Pigment Black in the table looks approximately what I tested,
Your testing revealed 0.9 ml purged for the Pigment Black. That's 3 times more than the Service Manual amount for the ip4000 Pigment Black.

Latest posts