Canon iP7250 nozzle check

TopCatToo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4850, Canon iP7250
Hi,

I have a Canon iP7250 which seems to need a 'deep clean" each time it is used, which is a couple of times a week on documents (not photos).

I turn the printer on and run a nozzle check, cyan is usually the completely missing colour, ie no stripes just missing, the others are always OK, a deep clean cycle usually restores a correct nozzle check.

I then print say 10 documents with a small amount of coloured text and the red text fades to orange and disappears.

I have used UK 'supermarket' ink refill kits in the past using the 'top fill' method but now intend to try OctoInk inks - the cartridges are Canon OEM and are are filled by weight, so I know there's ink in them.

I've checked the cartridge vents are clear and it happens with other cyan cartridges.

Any advice would be welcome, is my problem the 'cheap' cyan ink or is the problem the print head - or both?

If its the print head why does it print correctly at all?

Should I flush the print head with IPA or could it be beyond help?

The printer is about 18 months old and has not seen heavy use but I now fully expect the waste ink sponge to report its full with a the cleaning cycles!

Many Thanks,

Steve

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Ninety-nine percent of your problems are with your cartridges and as you rightly pointed out the problem is not with your print head, so don’t remove it out of the printer.

Now what I am going to suggest may sound strange because since the launch of these new 551/550 cartridge by Canon it is far safer to use compatible aftermarket cartridges with ARC chips on these newer model printers.

The 551 OEM cartridges don’t refill well and can’t be rely on to give good ink output all of the time so I would suggest you dump them in favour of compatibles carts.

if you intend to visit Octoinkjet then check out what’s available there before purchasing anything or Email the customer service for any questions you may have,.

Do it sooner rather than later and before you damage the print head for good and remember don’t run your printer if you have no ink coming out on your paper..

TopCatToo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4850, Canon iP7250
Thank you for the helpful and speedy reply.

I was under the impression I should be using refilled Canon cartridges 'cos they were better - I live and hopefully learn.

In the short term I'll install a brand new set and see what happens, in the longer term look at compatibles.

Thanks again for the advice.

Steve