Canon ip5000 printing too much green

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Spatzi,

As others have indicated, a green color cast can also mean that the magenta is printing too light. Do you have another set of refilled magenta/PM carts to test? Maybe one of these carts has a partial ink blockage.

Could you print the same nozzle test on photo paper and scan it at about 300 ppi. Crop it to about 600 pixels wide so that we only see the vertical bars and the beginning of the horizontal color bars, then post it. Your previous image appeared to be printed on plain paper and didn't have enough detail to make any judgements on the colors.

Where do you buy OEM carts for $4/ea?.

spatzi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm not going to waste anymore photo paper on nozzle checks. I already wasted quite a bit trying to solve the green problem. Maybe I'll find a scrap around I can use. I have used various magenta tanks and there's no difference. I soaked the print head in water for a whole day and it didn't clear the clog. The colors on the check are the same regardless of what type of paper is used. The oem carts I get from

blue-plume.com

Their listed prices are around $7 a cart, but it's usually knocked down to $4-$5 when buying more carts. Last time I bought about 14 for $95 CAD. (tax included)

I think that the tradeoff of using oem carts is that while you get a cheap supply, you can expect your print head to clog much sooner than when you are using official Canon inks. I'll still take the tradeoff, because Canon inks in Canada are at least $18 each. Absolutely ridiculous. No wonder everyone just throws their printers away when they wear out or run out of ink. I can buy a good printer now for $100, which is the replacement cost of 5 Canon inks. A new IP5000 costs $149 at Futureshop right now, and probably $100 in the US. If I didn't have Canon sending me a new print head, I'd just be throwing out my 8 month old 5000 and buying a new one.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Just to clear up some nomenclature - OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer", meaning Canon carts for a Canon printer, Epson carts for an Epson printer, etc. Suppliers such as blue-plume are generally called "3rd party" suppliers (I don't know who the 2nd party is). It is generally recognized that 3rd party inks/carts have a different color that OEM inks, but I can't explain why your Costco inks suddenly changed color when printing from the same set of carts unless the magenta stopped printing properly or you suddenly developed a cross-contamination problem.

spatzi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Update: I tried to compensate for the 'green' by telling the print to go intensive on the black and magenta (+5, +8). I was surprised to see that the picture came out better. Did another nozzle check and the green squares had gone from 4 to 2. Just pushing those colors seems to have cleared the clog. Nothing else did, including soaking in water, endless cleanings, and deep cleaning. And I got my new 1p5000 print head in the mail within 2 days of telling Canon about the problem. :)

While You Were Art

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello from Scotland, I had to join this forum the moment I read 'green' and 'Costco' !

This sounds all too familiar. Went to Costco, bought one of the IMS kits, went home, refilled the cartridges. Initially the results were great. Well, they would be, wouldn't they? The old Cannon ink hadn't quite finished. Then I started to notice a strong colour shift toward green and I realised I had made a mistake rushing back to Costco to buy a second refill kit (thankfully I was able to take it back). I tried everything, experimented with profiles, etc, made many test strips, wasted a LOT of paper, a LOT of hours. I read about seven months ago that if you replace the ink in Cannon cartridges you will get average to average + results; if you use the same replacement ink in most other printers you will get good+ to very good. Hmm. The best cheapo results I have had so far have been from Datasafe cartridges at 2 each, but I have found them hard to come by and, again, I wasted a lot of ink trying to come up with a good colour profile. They aren't as good as the Cannon originals, which I will probably end up buying a set of for important prints.