Canon IP5000 dumpster ready or new print head?

enaitee

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi... My printer has not been used much since buying it 2 1/2 years ago; mostly a nozzle test pattern every week or two to avoid clogging so it's a like new machine always lived under a dust cover. Recently it showed a lighter than usual light magenta and light cyan color bars and very slight light streaks in the full strength magenta and cyan color bars. Cleaning the print head by following the many posts on this forum fixed the problem but may have led to a new one. To avoid a lot of repeats know that after every cleaning mentioned below were an hour's oven bake at about 120 F and several regular and a deep cleanings and cleaning the contacts in the print head carrier.

Prior to cleaning the print head I had never had a problem with the pigment black ink fine line grid test portion of the nozzle print test. Now with all the color test parts perfect maybe 8 - 15 random line segment were missing. I had switched to 3d party cartridges when the originals ran out. Several posts here have cited pigmented black 3d party inks as being prone to sediment problems. I assumed my repeated flushing, air blowing, soaking on Windex tissues etc had stirred up some of this and now had to be cleaned as well.

Now begins my real problem. After taking apart the print head for maybe the third time and doing all the cleaning steps my first nozzle print test had no pigment black print at all! Not the grid pattern, not the margin 3eBK label...blank, although the color parts were still present and perfect. This next step is significant I think. Repeating the print head dis-assembly and cleaning and running a nozzle print test I got a total blank sheet...not a drop or smudge of ink to be seen.

I get no orange failure coded blinking or pop-up error notices and get the same results (no print) whether with the printer on-line or off. The printer acts normally during the nozzle test with paper feed pausing and the expected green light blinking and steady. I have moved the print head carrier by hand to look at the parking pads but posts here say that's allowable. Could it have caused a timing error?? I took the printer apart also to clean out the drain lines from the parking pads. This didn't cause any orange error lights nor did it fix the problem. The sudden and total nature of the failure feels like an electrical fault and careful as I was, I may have missed some moisture in the print head or flexed it's printed circuit cable one time too many.

Posts here use a process of elimination for complete failure; trying a new print head and if that doesn't work then blaming the main board. I haven't found any Canon test to isolate which is faulty? I hesitate to gamble $46 on a new print head when the problem may be the main board. Suggestions??

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Sounds like the use of inferior black pigment ink has spiraled into a mess.

When you say disassemble printhead......unscrewing the nozzle plate ?
Maybe the printhead has been over-handled.
I would try a new printhead before trashing a low-mileage iP5000.

enaitee

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Re: "When you say disassemble printhead......unscrewing the nozzle plate ?"

Yes, following the procedure shown in the link below. The only potential problem is cited there and that's the prying up of the nozzle plate. The attached ribbon cable is maybe a mm too short to allow easily lifting of the plate and so it must be lightly strained to pivot the plate upwards. That plus maybe moisture not dried after reassembly or perhaps excessive air or fluid pressure could have been the cause of the fatal damage but lacking any test data and not being able to see the micro/mini structure, those are only guesses. I did take it apart three or four times and did a cleaning process not requiring that several times (sitting the head on Windex/Alcohol wet folded napkins) so toward the end it was getting pretty frustrating. Way to much like a repeat of my earlier experience with my first printer, a HP712c, before it went, barely used, to the scrap heap. Thanks for you interest.

http://www.normediasolutions.com/guides/cannon_printhead_cleaning/index.htm

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
In extreme cases I have loosened the nozzle plate, but because of the shortness of the ribbon cable I have never tried to rotate it completely out.

And of course never get the electrical contact area wet as this could take out not only the printhead but the logic board as well.

Hope you can save it.

enaitee

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
A closing thought for anyone thinking of removing a nozzle plate. The link below is to another interesting forum post that, although about another Canon model than my IP5000, has the same basic design and the same short ribbon cable problem. Here, the author took the very sensible step of dismounting the contact PC board by Dremel Tool grinding off the four heat deformed plastic nubs fastening it to the print head allowing the nozzle plate to be removed avoiding any risk of cable strain and adding a measure of safety in making it easier to keep it moisture free. The body of the nubs remained to accurately position the PC board on reassembly and was secured by some hot melt adhesive. Hot Dang! I always wanted an excuse to buy a hot melt adhesive gun!
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=241