Canon iP5000 dead after head clean.

edvro

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello. I cleaned the heads of the Canon iP5000 as described elsewhere. Everything went well. Lots of ink came out of the head.
After placing back the head and placing new cartridges, I connected the printer to the power cord.
If I puch the powerbutton, the led flashes once very shortly.
After this, nothing happens. Printer seems to be dead.
No lights and no movements/noises.
Please advice what to do.
thank you.
John

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You took out the printhead to clean. Can you describe what you did? Did you allow water getting into the electric component? Did you dry the electronic component before putting the printhead back into your printer?

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
edvro said:
Hi, yes I followed the instructions on: http://www.normediasolutions.com/guides/cannon_printhead_cleaning/
As they explained, I cleaned it with water and carefully dried the water, using paper towel and medium hot air.
I have not try that method. I cannot comment on that.

At first, the printer started to work, but no ink on paper.
After a few minutes, nothing works.
Did you prime the printhead before nozzle check?
To prime the printhead, I usually flooded the purge pads with Windex and do couple of deep cleaning cycle.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
That link shows how to take a Canon print head apart and should be titled How to Kill a Print Head.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Should have never taken apart the print head like that. It has a very good chance to kill it.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Is the print head in the park position, off to the right, locked in place? If it is, and the printer does not do anything except briefly flash a light, you're probably out of luck.

I would try holding down various combinations of the two buttons while turning on the power in the hope that the printer will enter some kind of mode where it will unlock the print head and move it to the center. If it does, quickly unplug the printer and remove the print head. Make sure you lower the lever that holds the print head in place and then power the printer up again and see if you get normal movement and lights.

If this works, you can try a new print head, but be aware that your printer, as well as your print head may be damaged and it is possible that a new print head will also get damaged by your printer. The best thing you can do is take your printer, whether or not the above procedure works, to an authorized Canon repair shop and have them try to fix it. It will probably cost over $100 but maybe you can work out something with them that if they cannot fix the printer, then they keep it and you don't pay.

I have also burned out two print heads while trying to clean them outside of the printer which is the reason I now recommend leaving the print head in the printer and let the printer clean the print head. It is designed to safely do just that but sometimes it needs a little help, such as putting Windex on the pads where the print head parks.

edvro

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help and advice.
I ordered a new iP4600 printer (74 ).

edvro

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I took a look at the printer again.
It seems the head is not locked on the right side.
When I connect the printer to the mains, and push the powerbutton , it flashes green once.
No reaction afterwards when pushing buttons.
Disconnect from the mains and reconnect again, pushing the powerbutton flashes the green led once.
Dead again after this.