Canon IP5000 Board thickness

Barb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm in the right forum or not, apologies if I'm not.

Can't seem to find the specs on the maximum thickness of glossy board I can print on with this printer. Advice appreciated.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Barb - unless the glossy board is specifically coated for inkjet printing, you will not be successful printing on it. The ink will not penitrate the surface and will just pool and not dry.

Barb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
O.K. thanks for that advice. So if I am looking at a matte surface board, what would be the maximum thickness for this printer. Here is Australia I think this would be referred to as the GSM.

Thank You

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Here, again, there are matte papers that are specifically treated for inkjet printing. I've printed on cover stock and other readily available moderate weight card stock, all of which are not specific for inkjet printing. They printed just fine, but the quality of photo printing was not great. I've used several inkjet matte papers and light card stock that are coated for inkjet use, and the photo prints are far superior to the uncoated paper and card stocks that are designed for use by offset or other types of printing. I don't know what you wish to do with the prints, but I've found Staples photo supreme double sided matte paper to be very good weight for greeting cards, and it prints very well on both sides. The fact is, however, that the prints aren't as vivid as when printed on glossy photo paper. You can certainly print on any inkjet photo paper, glossy or matte, and use an adhesive spay to mount the print on any weight stock. I've done this for poster size prints very successfully.

Barb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.