Canon IP4600 and "Prism" protection

stoppage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, I'm using Sudhaus ink in a Canon ip4600. My question...with ink level monitor deactivated for all carts., in the event of forgetting to visually inspect levels, will the prism still halt all printing when level is zero in one cartridge, thus preventing any damage? :| Obliged.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Ink level is completely disabled :( on that specific cartridges . . Chip Resetters will be available in January 2010 there is a post by pharmacist on this forum about it

Even if you use ARChips the prism sensor won't work cos ink level is always FULL even if cart is empty

Visual Inspection of the carts is the only way to avoid printhead problems

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Even if you do reset the chip you've still got to deal with the excessive "cleaning" cycles which waste ink and fill up the waste ink pad needlessly.

stoppage

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt replies..I have a chip resetter on order but I'm curious about the excessive cleaning cycles...are these somehow a result of resetting the chip? Will they be a permanent feature? Sorry, I'm on new ground here!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
stoppage said:
Hi, I'm using Sudhaus ink in a Canon ip4600. My question...with ink level monitor deactivated for all carts., in the event of forgetting to visually inspect levels, will the prism still halt all printing when level is zero in one cartridge, thus preventing any damage? :| Obliged.
But to answer your question regarding the prism, I cannot find any purpose for the prism or the accompanying light source and sensor on my MX700 which uses the CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges.

I was hoping that if a new OEM cartridge leaked and the ink prematurely uncovered the prism, would the printer detect this and issue a warning? But no, it doesn't.

I was wondering if maybe when the printer detects that a cartridge that had an empty reservoir (uncovered prism) suddenly became full (covered prism without being reset), it would issue a warning that refilling cartridges was not allowed. But no, it doesn't.

Canon may have put the prism in the CLI-8 and PBI-5Bk cartridges to make them backward compatible to the BCI-6 and BCI-3eBK so you could use them in the older printers, but the color balance is off so that doesn't make sense. I just can't figure out why they would have put the light source and detector in if they are not going to use it for anythng.

Quidam

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
noticed the text on the buttom of your post, what is the german method to fill cartridges?