Canon Ip4500

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi I tried to print a microsoft word document and it would not print it, then I tried to print it with notepad and still would not print, why is that? thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I wouldn’t have the foggiest idea at all and needier would anybody else for that matter.

All you have told us so far is that you want to print a Text document,
so can you give us an idea what your using to try and print it with ?

Canon, Epson, or HP which model name or number, can you see it on your computer screen,
has it printed before now, have you ever had this problem before,
when was the last time you use this printer and so.

Some recent history of your printer would help us all enormously, then I am sure
we can get your problem sorted and your document printed out quick time.. :thumbsup

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess the printer with a problem is the Canon iP4500 indicated in the title line?

One cause of the refusal to print text could be that the pigment black section in the print head has failed. The pigment black is used for text printing on plain paper. Colours would then print normally, so a photo will print normally. A nozzle check will show if the pigment black is the cause of the problem. A good nozzle check should look something like this:
mp540_5-jpg.74

If my guess is right the pigment black (PGBK) grid pattern is missing from your nozzle check. So how does your nozzle check look, could you upload a scan please?

As a work around you can chose matte photo paper print media setting. This will force the printer to use the photo black instead of pigment black, so you can finish your print job; printing will be slower though due to fewer and smaller nozzles for the photo black.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
How come I missed that ? :hide
It must have been all the bubbly yesterday.. :idunno

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I guess the printer with a problem is the Canon iP4500 indicated in the title line?

One cause of the refusal to print text could be that the pigment black section in the print head has failed. The pigment black is used for text printing on plain paper. Colours would then print normally, so a photo will print normally. A nozzle check will show if the pigment black is the cause of the problem. A good nozzle check should look something like this:
mp540_5-jpg.74

If my guess is right the pigment black (PGBK) grid pattern is missing from your nozzle check. So how does your nozzle check look, could you upload a scan please?

As a work around you can chose matte photo paper print media setting. This will force the printer to use the photo black instead of pigment black, so you can finish your print job; printing will be slower though due to fewer and smaller nozzles for the photo black.
I tried the nozzle check and it was fine, I also replaced the printer head a few weeks ago, thanks anyways I'll try and figure it out;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If you are able to print out a nozzle check from your computer then the problem may be the application is not selecting the proper printer. If two different applications have the same problem -- and they worked previously -- then it might be the operating system does not have the printer set as default. It could also be a corruption of the installed files.

Check that the printer is installed properly, is selected as default in the OS and/or application you are trying to print from.