Canon IP4500 problem

tcool93

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone can help me here with this or not, but I've had some problems with a clogged printer head lately, and after a lot of deep cleaning was able to get some of it fixed.

But my pigmented black color is missing a couple of bars on the pattern test. Does anyone know if this would be due to a clog, or a bad print head? Below is a photo of it, its always the same two bars missing from the pattern.

I also can't remember if my dye based black color always printed the test pattern this way or not, but for anyone else who has this printer, does the Photo Black (not the pigmented black) color print out what looks like a bunch of thin black lines?

If its a bad print head, I'll have to think about getting another printer due to the high cost of the print head. But was just reading about the new cartridges Canon came out with that are not clear for refilling, which isn't good.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
There is no way of knowing if individual nozzles are clogged or burned out until and if you can get them working again. But if you have tried diligently to unclog them and they persist, then it doesn't really matter if it is a clog or a burned out nozzle, you eventually give up and live with the missing segment or get a new print head or printer.

Your dye black at the bottom of the nozzle check should look solid and the two vertical bars on the left side should be darker. These symptoms imply an electrical problem in the print head head that cannot be fixed except with a new print head.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
tcool93
The two nozzle checks you posted are missing little bits alright but its not a complete disaster either.
What would help is knowing which cartridges and inks your are using
and if your refilling them, your location would be a help also..

tcool93

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I've always had problems with the stupid chips on the cartridges ever since I first bought it. Canon even replaced 2 of the cartridges due to errors I would get. I still get them to this day, and it drives me crazy. It will blink with an error, I reset the cartridges, it works for one print, then does it again.

After the original cartridges I had been refilling them. The Hobbicolors worked best for me, using that German method of refilling (I forget what its called). I also bought an auto resetter when it first came out and was expensive. But got tired of the messy refilling, so then I bought a kit of cartridges that had auto reset chips on them from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/15P-PGI-5-CLI-8.../270486176722?pt=BI_Toner&hash=item3efa3b83d2

Those cartridges caused more problems for me. They worked fine at first, but after a bit for whatever reason they just would not put out ink. Even putting in a new replacement cartridge, it would not print out ink (especially the pigmented black). I kind of think it had something to do with the fact those cartridges have a plastic that covers only one side of the cartridge, causing them to not be centered, but I don't know.

I put the older cartridges back in to try and fix it, and thats where I am today. But I may just get a different printer, probably Epson for now because they at least still have reset chips that work with their latest models. But I'm not sure yet.

I do print some cd/dvds on my printer, which is a big reason for having this model.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
tcool93
The ip4500 is usually ok with reset OEM cartridges but having a second set could help
so as to alternate the cartridges and not be using the same reset cartridge all of the time.

You could try holding the cartridge in the resetter for a little longer say 3-5 seconds and that may overcome the error messages too.
I would suggest you purge (clean) your OEM cartridges, dry and refill them to see if that helps
to give you a better print quality or by filling the pigment cartridge with dye ink can work as well.
You could also replace the chips on your OEM cartridges with the ARC chips that came on the compatible cartridges..;)

tcool93

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I may try some more things like you mentioned. Just now I was reading only the negative reviews for that guy I purchased it from, and it appears others have a similar problem with the ink, several saying some of their cartridges didn't work at all (like mine). His cartridges are a little thinner than regular cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
tcool93
Most guys on this forum have similar tale to tell of poor quality compatible cartridges
and inks because nearly everyone tried them at some point or other and gave up on them.

The only sure way is to use OEM cartridges and fill them with the best inks
using the top fill or German fill method and a resetter.

Your problems will be few and your pleasures will be many so have a look
at your own set-up and see if you can make these few chances for the better.

It cost to have the right setup at first but then all of your saving comes quickly
in trouble free printing at no cost for months afterwards.
So take the leap of faith and get the right setup as many have and just enjoy it all..