Canon IP4500 CD print problem

kojak

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum so hello to everybody and thanks in advance for your replies. I have 10 Canon IP4500s each with CIS attached which I use predominantly to print CDs/DVDs. They have been working like a charm up until recently. When I attempt to print any disc which is maily one solid block of colour (it seems blue or colours made up of blue are the main culprit) it will print correctly to within 1/4" of the top of the disc leaving the remainder printed unevenly or with lines (usually red). It starts getting 'liney' and progressively gets worse so that the top 1/4" is almost a solid block of colour (red mostly). I have tried multliple head cleans/deep head cleans to no avail. If the printer is rested for 1/2 an hour or so it will print two or three disc fine, but then reverts back to the behaviour above. It happens to all ten printers and they start doing it within a few prints of each other. Help.....!

Kojak

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
If it's all ten printers then it's got to be the one thing they all have in common...your software.
What software are you using ?
You could try completely uninstalling and then reinstalling the most current version of your disk printing software.

If you are not already using Acoustica you could also try the free trial version on one of the machines and see if that makes a difference.
http://acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/index.htm

kojak

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi jflan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I initially thought the same thing so I downloaded a Photoshop template and it does exactly the same thing. We have been experimenting with resting the machines for 15 mins or so, and the first disc that comes out after resting, prints perfectly, but the next one not so good. I am wondering whether it may be a problem with the print head?

Kojak

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
It is probably a problem of the ink. What ink are you using? Did you try to print the same image on a piece of paper? If the printer is not able to print a solid block of color it says the ink is not able to keep up the supply to the print head. It is able to supply for the small top area initially then it falls short after that. Are you using OEM cartridges? If it happens to only one color that is really telling you that one ink cartridge is not feeding ink correctly. Since it happens too all your 10 printers I have to think that it is the ink of one color only that is not supplying sufficient ink to the print head. Your print head may develop a clog and damage if you do not fix the problem soon and continue to print with this existing problem.