Canon ip4000 vs ip6000--help!

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I just picked up a new (not refurbished) ip6000D from Outpost.com (Fry Electronics) for $100 plus ~$14 DHL ground shipping. Got it in two days from from Ohio to Philadelphia, PA area. I already have the ip4000 which has been working well for over a year, but thought I may want to get another non-chipped PIXMA before they disappear. I have just started refilling with Hobbicolors ink and cartridges - they have worked well so far. Initially was thinking about buying either the ip5000 ($150) or ip6000D ($130) from the local Micro Center (they had about 6 of each), but happened on the Outpost.com site on Monday night and decided to order from them on Tuesday. Called them to make sure they really had it in stock and that it wasn't a refurb (the site did say 1 year warranty - refurbs only have 90 days). Until the printer showed at the door this noon I was unsure, but all worked well. It is working fine. With the saved money I am going to order the 6 color kit from Hobbicolors - no more OEM cartridges for me. Will probably use the ip6000D mainly for photos and use the ip4000 for text, regular printing and printing onto DVDs - it has been modified to accept printable DVDs.

Just a heads up since there has been considerable comments about looking for unchipped PIXMAs. This was my first order from Outpost.com and it went well. I often buy from Fry Electronics when I visit my kids who live in Austin, TX.

Steve W.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Good deal on the IP6000! Good to see that there are still some of the unchipped pixmas in the pipeline.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To On30trainman,

Who states no more OEM cartridges for me-----did you load the new printer up with other cartridges?
Many save the Canon OEM's and sell them on ebay. Another way to turn a bargain into a super bargain.
No time to chat--I think I will check out outpost.com

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'm still on the lookout for the refurb Canon's at Fry's. I'll never forget when they had the i560's for $29 that came with brand new OEM cartridges... I turned a "bargain into a super bargain." !!!! Now, what to do with these 4 extra i560's I've got sitting around!?! ;)

Speaking of bargains... I'm not usually one for "extended warranties" but I've found I get a better deal with great peace of mind when I find a floor model / refurbished item and then get the store's extended warranty that provides instant exchange. If done correctly, I can get a better price on an item that now has a better / longer warranty that if I bought a brand new item.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To watch sales, bargains or super bargains at Fry's here is a link for easy watching: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/

This is actually the online version of Mercury News. After entering the page click on the "Newspaper Ads Online" in the middile of left column. Then click on "Electronics and Computers" from the shopping catagory. Then one more click on "Fry's Electronics". Right now today only they have a refurbished ip1600 for $27.99.

I have found that they don't always advertise refurbished products on their ads. When they have a bounch they will advertise it. But quite often you have to visit their stores and ask the sales for refurbished printers. Just tell them which printer model you are looking for. They will look up their computer and see if they have it refurbished at what price or not. If they have it they will take it out from the storage area in the back for you.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hey Rob,

In terms of those i560's---maybe you can peddle the printheads for people with printers that those interchange with. Then peddle the i560 with a missing printhead to someone with a working printhead for it but a brokem printer.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Osage said:
In terms of those i560's---maybe you can peddle the printheads for people with printers that those interchange with. Then peddle the i560 with a missing printhead to someone with a working printhead for it but a brokem printer.
Osage, while tempting, there are two things that have stopped me from doing this:

1) The ROI for this process probably isn't that good.
2) With all the hoarding of non-chipped printers, I'm afraid to let these little jems go! ;)