canon ip4000 printhead

richjon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi to all, glad to be part of this community, sorry my first post is asking for advice. My printer has stopped powering up, checked all connections and they are fine. I would like to check the printhead to see if its faulty, but it is in the stop position at the end of the carriage, and i am asking is there a way to manually release it , so i can move it and take the cartridges out, thanks alot, regards John

richjon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
tried power again and it came back on, 30 minutes after taking power lead out, ive took inks out, now and will see if it keeps power.

richjon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
oh dear, after an hour printer lost power even though there was no printhead in, therefore the fault cant be the printhead. Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong, regards John

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You have taken the print head out for one hour? I hope you are keeping the ink jets damp to prevent them drying out!

It may be by design that the machine powers out after an hour with no print head. Try putting it back in.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Are you sure you haven't got the printer set to auto-power off?

richjon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi, thanks for your replies, inkjets kept damp, thanks. I can not get power at all from the plug to the printer, also tried on a different pc and still no joy. the printer like i said came on for a short period then switched off again after a couple of minutes, but for last 24 hrs nothing. Swapped power leads and these checked ok.

richjon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
question for "websnail" will auto power off be operated from the pc or printer, once activated from the printer options on the pc, thanks

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I'm very interested in this subject because a couple months ago I bought an iP4000 on eBay and it powered on with no problem for a week or so. I never connected it to a computer, I just did head cleanings and nozzle checks but after a while it would not power on. I tried again a couple weeks later and it would come on. It came on just now. But if there is some configuration that causes it to not power on and a way to fix it so that it always comes on, I sure would like to know how to do it.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
In the driver properties under 'Maintenance' there is a box marked 'Auto Power'.
There is the capability to enable or disable 'Power On' or 'Power Off'.
I don't know whether those settings have any effect on your problem.

richjon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thanks "pebe" for your reply, the setting are all on disable so i dont think thats the problem, I can not get any power to the printer at all, i have got 2 more of these printers and if you power off the printer via the power switch settings in maintenance tab, i can still switch the printer back on by the off on switch of the printer. I think i might have a doggy pcb, probably a dry joint. this maybe why i got power back for a couple of minutes at one stage, looks like buying another printer, thanks again to everyone for your suggestions.