Thanx in anticipation

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Dave,

Canon does not support their printers on a network, so they are no help on this type of problem (which you probably already know).

I assume that you have the printer installed on one computer (which prints properly) and then shared over the network. I have my printers installed on a server running XP-Home and shared to my other computer running XP-Pro. It prints properly, but it takes a long time to respond (45 seconds) to requests for Preferences or Properties. If I re-install the network on the remote computer, it works properly until the remote (a Laptop) or server is rebooted.

I read somewhere that the problem is that XP-Home isn't designed to host printers, but that if you use fixed IP addresses that it will cure the problem (I haven't tried this).

Good luck.

Mickey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I don't run XP, still using W98 that suits my needs. Have the printer set-up without a server, just sharing it from the principal computer to the networked computer(s). I have the printer drivers also installed on the second computer. I don't experience any delays or other problems. Wonder if something like this would help solve your problem.

LinkinParkIM14

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I dont beleive that the network is configured properly, and i would advise you to get a professional to come and look at it. I have a MP780 that is shared over a network from a Windows Xp Home computer. I also have a IP4000 which is in my room, and is hosted on a Windows XP Pro machine, and both computers can print on either or printer, and other printers on the network dont have any problems either. I see complaints about them not working as networked printers, but i have no problems. I think it is because people do not do what they are doing. I could always be wrong, just my two cents.

Thanks,
Trent

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi,

Just thought I would jump in on this fixed ip address thing. I have a super cheap network set up, just two xp home computers with network interface cards connected with a crossover cable. I don't know why, but very once in awhile one of the two Network interface cards break the network connection for a super brief period of time.
I know this because a little notice would appear on both computers that the connected was broken then reestablished. With dynamic ip addressing this could break the network requiring re- set up and I cured it by going to fixed ip addressing (kb309642).

So when I got an canon ip4000 (not a 4000-r) I had zero difficulty setting up printer sharing or keeping it going. So when I saw granddad's post on this, I thought I would jump in. Don't know if I would have printer sharing fail with dynamic addressing, but I do know it works for me using static ip addressing.

P.S. Both my computers were able to independently access my isp using their own modems. Now one computer, the host computer use an ip of 192.168.0.1. With dynamic addressing, there exists a danger that if the client computer ever independently accesses the isp using its own modem, the client computer will default back to 192.168.0.1 also. Believe me, the results are not pretty when two computers try to claim that same ip address.Took me a entire week to figure out how to get the host computer's modem working again.