Canon IP4000 and 5000 print head cleaned successfully

moosemaster

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm new to this sight but thought I would put in my two cents and tell of my success, partially due to this forum, about cleaning my canon print heads for an IP 4000 and IP 5000.
The blue was completly clogged and no amount of head cleaning was clearing it. I tried the hot water tricks, alchol, ammonia etc, with no success.
So I took the printheads out of the printer and got a 16 yogurt tub, and filled it with Windex. (someone in the forum said this would work, and it actually works better than pure ammonia I tested the cleaning ablility on the white counter with different cleaners) I then undid the screws at the botton of the printhead and seperated the white print head (I think this is the print head) from the black part leaving the cable attached and opened it up to revile the small holes that the ink comes out of. I then dropped both print heads in the windex and left them overnight. (Some of you are cringing at this) I came back in the morning, ran it under hot water and dryed it up pretty well. An air compressor would have been nice to do this job but I didn't have one at work. I then put the white print head back on and attached the two screws. I put it back in the printer and bingo, blue ink. There seems to be something in windex that works well cleaning the dried out ink.
I hope this helps someone. Let me know if it does.
Cheers
}:=>

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mousemaster, welcome to the group. Thanks for posting your story. I love a good success story! It's good to know what works.

In another forum (this link) there is a tutorial on dismantling and cleaning IP3000, IP4000, IP5000 print heads. Sounds like same method you used. This tutorial includes pictures. I mention this here in case it might help someone else.

In case someone is thinking of applying this procedure to an i960 (or similar) printer, beware that you MUST grind off the nibs that hold the circuit board on. This is apparently not required for IP3000/IP4000/IP5000 since it is not part of the tutorial.

fotofreek dismantled his i960 print head and he tells us why you MUST grind the nibs off -- see post #11 this link, and his earlier post #9 in the same thread.

Lilla