Canon Ip3500 cannot print the left side of the paper

quiks

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi , I have Canon IP 3500 that I've already used for about 1 year.
I bought it in 1998, but I never used it and still in it's box until last year, when my other printer was broken.
last week, when I try to print a full A4 page photo, the image that being printed only 2/3 of the page from the right side of the printer.
of the 1/3 of the page to the left side was slowly disappeared (all color). it was like I have a gradation image, from full color to white.

from the start until finish printing, the print head carriage was moving normally, there was no unusual sound , no error on the screen, no green-orange blinking on the printer.
it's seems that the print head is not the problem because I have already try other printhead but the result are the same.
I also already try cleaning the encoder strip but no result

does anyone have the same problem with me?
any suggestion to fix this problem?
thanks

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you please upload a scan of a printout of a photo showing the error and preferably also a scan of a nozzle check? When discussing certain printer problems, a picture is worth more than a thousand words. From your description I cannot figure out what is going on, it doesn't sound like a case of ink starvation to me.

You find instructions on uploading and posting images here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36

quiks

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi Peter, this is my printing result when I try to print a full page image

1426_img00699-20120801-1316.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the problem is caused by an issue with the flexible ribbon cables leading to the printhead carriage. It could be a broken conductor in one of the cables or a bad connection in one of connectors.

The printer prints when the printhead moves both to the left and right. It looks like when the printhead moves from right to left a connection is broken when the printhead nears the left edge. Paper is then advanced and the printhead starts moving from left to right. At some point the connection is remade.

If a connector is broken inside one of the cables, most likely nothing can be done to repair the printer, as I think new cables are impossible to obtain. The only source for replacement cables I can imagine is a defunct printer of same or similar type.

The problem could also be caused by dirty or oxidised contacts in the ribbon cable connetors on the back of thre printhead carriage, so you could try to turn on the printer and open the lid as if you wanted to change a cartridge. When the printhead has centered, pull out the power cord to avoid the printer suddenly parking the printhead. Now gently try to wiggle the ribbon cables up and down and gently try to push and pull them. You only need to move the cables fractions of a millimeter, so be careful not to tear things apart. Try this at your own risk.

I hope this helps, as dismantling the printer to get access to the connectors to clean them with electronics contact cleaner or to replace the cables is a major task.