Canon IP3000

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
I have an IP300, IP4000 and IP4500. Thanks to the advice contained in this forum I am refillling all my cartridges rather than buying cheap replacements or expensive OEM ones. I use Hobbicolors because it is cheaper to have them sent from the States to the UK than to buy similar quality ink in this country.

I have been using my IP3000 as the workhorse and tend to print documents letters etc. on it. My other machines are used mainly for photographs. I haven't used Hobbicolors ink in my IP3000 yet. Which brings me to the reason for my post.

If I started using Hobbicolors ink in my IP3000, including using black dye rather than pigment in the black cartridge. Would this give me the same photographic quality I obtain from the IP4000 or IP4500?

Apologies if this is thought to be a frivolous question but I find I have turned into a bit of an 'anorak' since learning about profiles, cartridge re-filling etc.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Wilko,... The ip3000 uses the same exact printhead as the original i560, and the MP730 printers. These have the BCI-3e Black large ink cart which was for pigment black in and entended to be used only for printing Text. The three other ink carts were Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow and are used for printing color images or paper and for color photograph printing on photographic paper. The printer driver sees which paper type you have selected and that controls color profile the printer will use to print. The Black ink cart is not used for photos, and the printer thinks it always has Pigmented ink in it no matter what you put in it. You text print quality will really suffer if you use Black Dye ink,...that is if you look close and want high quality text docuements. The nozzles in the printhead for the iP3000 Black are designed for Pigmented ink, but of course they will print with just about anything including diluted water with dye colors.

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
Trigger 37

Thanks for your reply. Explains a lot. I'll continue to use my IP3000 for non photoraphic work.