Canon IP3000 wont switch on

tomthered

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
:mad:

Hi guys new to the forum so looking for your help. I have had this printer for 10 months with no problems, when I bought it, it was 5 months old. I have used compatible cartridges from Novatech in all that time no problems. About 1 month ago I noticed the print were incomplete so I found your forum, read the posts on cleaning the printehad and, following instructions did so. This caused the printer to print all colours but not black on its own and part of the nozzle check pattern was missing.

As a result I decided to invest in a new printhead from the USA, 28 complete. In the meantime I decided to try again and followed the instructions on using compressed air in reverse, so after a thourough soak I gave it a quick spray of compressed air. My clean involved following Neil Slade instructions of removing the nozzles carefully.

I put the printhead back in, switched on and tried a nozzle check. This resulted in an incomplete print so I gave up and left it switched on. After about 30 minutes I noticed the printer switch itself off. This was strange as it had never done this before! I tried switching back on but when you push the power button on, the printer on the light goes green and when you let go it switches off after about half a second.

There is power there but it will not stay on, has anyone any ideas on what could be wrong? The printhead is seated correctly with full cartridges, albeit compatibles but I have never had a problem until recently. It does not have cartridges that are chipped so no problems there. No error messages are showing up either and no blinking lights.

In the meantime I have a new canon printhead with no Printer!! I have tried emailing Canon but they are less than useless!

cheers

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
There is diagnostic mode that might still work. It is described at:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=929

Even though this is described as being for the iP4000, it works with a great many of the Canon printers.

The RESUME button is the upper one behind the front cover. Maybe you should start with just seeing if the power will stay on until you execute the first code. Then repeat the process for each of the other codes up through number 3. I don't think you want to go beyond that one.

If this process doesn't fix the problem, see if you can get the print head to move off its park location and then unplug the printer. Remove the cartridges and print head. Make sure you put the lever back down and see if the printer will power up. If it still has the same problem as before, at least you will know it is not related to the print head.

Let us know what happens.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure from your post if the problem is when either the old or the new printhead is in the printer, but if you remove the head and turn on the printer and it still poweres off then it would not be head related.
When the head is out of the printer the power led is supposed to flash orange.

tomthered

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
right guys. removed printhead and cartridges. switched on and it has stayed on. Opened top cover and it moved into the middle awaiting printhead and cartridge. as soon as I put printhead in and cartridges it turns off. Do I assume therefore that the printhead is knackered? If I put my new printhead in will it work. Damn never thought of doing that. Spent 100 on a new printer as well!! What does anyone think this is worth without a printhead?

Thanks for your help guys, is there a way of salvaging the printhead?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I think your assumption about the printhead is correct.

Did you try the diagnostic process with the old printhead? I'd be curious to know if the printer would power up and if it would report a bad printhead.

If you think about the replacement cost of a new printhead and the cost of new OEM cartridges, you are well over the original cost of the printer which tells me that Canon is not making much money on the printer itself. The iP3000 is an excellent printer if you only want to print on plain paper. It doesn't have a dye black cartridge so doesn't do as well on photo paper as the iP4000 or most other models and it is lousy on CDs.

What other printer did you buy?

tomthered

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ip4000

could not get it to run a diagnostic with old printhead in!!

tomthered

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Guys put the new printhead in, switched on tried a printhead alignment but no ink coming through. Tried cleaning and deep cleaning 3 times. Does anyone know why please?