Canon IP3000 wont print

tomthered

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Guys not sure if I can repost but this is a different issue to the last one. I had a printer that would not switch on but with the help of you guys I figured out it was possibly a printhead. Replaced it with a brand new one from Canon. Put new cartridges in and tried to print, result nothing!!

I have tried cleaning andp cleaning but to no avail. I read somewhere on here about the purge :mad:pipes being blocked. Tried to follow the instructions to strip it down- no luck. Got as far as removing the two sides and the folding lid and then hit a brick wall in how to progress further.

I think it may possibly be this purge tube thing that has two of them one for the black and one for the colours. Could they be blocked with ink? Seems strange when my last printhead was printing colours albeit intermittently.

Would welcome help from you guys on how to proceed or what it could be. I admit that I had not heard of your forum and the importance of the quality of ink before using the compatible cartridges I bought. An expensive lesson learned!! I intend now to stick to formulalabs or hobbicolors as I intend to refill to control quality.

Would someone be so kind as to explain in details how I can strip this IP3000 down to access this purge unit. Would love a quick rersponse as I foolishly advertised this on ebay, and it sold, but I was under the impression a new printhead would resolve my issues, silly me!!

cheers Guys

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You may have success getting the tubes unclogged or at least determine if they are clogged by dropping some Windex with ammonia on the two pads. Turn the power off and on with the lid closed then open it and see if the pads still contain liquid. If they do, the tubes are clogged. You can repeat the process many times until the pads are clean when you put new Windex on them.

I don't know how to disassemble the printer.

tomthered

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
which two pads do you mean and where would I get Windex from in the UK?

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
tomthered said:
I have tried cleaning andp cleaning but to no avail. I read somewhere on here about the purge :mad:pipes being blocked. Tried to follow the instructions to strip it down- no luck. Got as far as removing the two sides and the folding lid and then hit a brick wall in how to progress further.
Did you see the instructions at this link by Digitalartist71. He tells how to dismantle the IP3000 to access the purging lines. He then injected hot water into the purging lines to dissolve the dried ink, and this fixed his problem. He gives a lot of details in his post.

Good luck,
Lilla

tomthered

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yeah dismantled part of it whilst reading that but got stuck removing the top. any ideas anyone?:(

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
tomthered said:
which two pads do you mean and where would I get Windex from in the UK?
There are two pads, one for the pigment black and one for the three colors, off to the right where the print head parks. When you open the cover of the printer, the head moves to the center and you can easily see them, especially with a flashlight--uh, torch, I mean. If you don't have Windex, just use distilled water.

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
You may have success getting the tubes unclogged or at least determine if they are clogged by dropping some Windex with ammonia on the two pads. Turn the power off and on with the lid closed then open it and see if the pads still contain liquid. If they do, the tubes are clogged. You can repeat the process many times until the pads are clean when you put new Windex on them.
If there is little or no ink flow, is this procedure safe to do over and over? Or is it possible that it could cause the heaters to burn out?

As I understand it, if you continue to print when your print head is starved for ink due to poor ink flow from the cartridge, this can lead to ink caking on the heaters and then to burnt out heater/s.

Just a thought.

Lilla

tomthered

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
cheers to both of you. Am I to assume that I put ammonia on those two pads and that should soak through and hopefully clear the purge tubes. Does that mean this is where the two tubes are located? How do I get the top off to get at them? Where would I buy windex, what is in it? Can I use something similar?

I did check the pads and they do appear to be inky. I was going to buy a service manual for $6.99, would it be worth it? Sorry to ask so many questions guys but we are not as advanced as the US with this!!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Don't put undiluted ammonia on the pads. That is nasty stuff (not nifty stuff). I would dilute it down to 5% or less or even just try distilled water.

I don't know how to get the pads off and I wasn't suggesting that. If there is the slightest flow, the water should dissolve the dried ink in there and get it flowing eventually.

Turning the printer off and on (or doing a deep head cleaning) does not fire any nozzles so there is no risk of burning the print head.

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Turning the printer off and on (or doing a deep head cleaning) does not fire any nozzles so there is no risk of burning the print head.
I don't know how everything works, but I would be careful about using the built-in cleaning operations excessively as I've seen instructions that...
o caution against running more than 3 back to back cleaning cycles
o recommend using "deep cleaning" sparingly, if at all.

Here's a thread that discusses...
Has anyone ever figured out exactly what a "deep clean" is?

Lilla