Canon iP3000 nozzle test with missing bands

levinel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks about the "reset" info. Could you add something brief about replacement models I might want to keep an eye out for? The iP3000 4-ink system seems adequate for my needs, and I like that it has been clog-resistant despite intermittent use. I wouldn't mind going to a better system - but suitability for intermittent use is a major factor for me.
ghwellsjr said:
And the nice thing about about the chipless printers is that you don't have to even have the color cartridges installed to make it print in B/W. However, eventually, the printer will think the color cartridges are getting low and then empty and then you will need some actual empty cartridges to reset their ink levels. But it's not obvious how to do this, you need to remove the actual empty cartridges, close the cover and re-insert them at which point the printer will say they are low. If you leave them out, it will take a lot longer before the printer claims they are empty but then you run the risk of misplacing them. So if you plan to donate the printer as a B/W printer, make sure you provide instructions on how to reset the levels.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I bought up a bunch of new and used chipless printers which I still use so I'm not up on the current models. I would try to get a new print head if you really like your printer.

levinel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Seems to be electrical, not a clog. New print head might be a consideration if I knew for sure that the problem is the head. Unfortunately, I don't have a good head to swap-in. Therefore it seems a better bet to replace with a working used printer - costs the same or less than a new head.

levinel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
turbguy said:
Could be a defective purge unit? Are there separate parking pads for color and black?

Wayne
Interesting question, which hints at a diagnostic trick. In a recent thread, you said,
You can typically flush out (and operationally test) the purge system by flooding the purge (parking) pads with a pool of windex or clean water with a syringe, close the cover, let the printer do it's resulting cleaning cycle, reopen the cover and examine the ceramic purge station pads. The pooled water should have disappeared.
Tried that on the color pad. It cleaned the pad, and I could now see all 5 color streaks - confirming that the heads for the missing colors are simply not firing.