Canon Inks GI-50 & GI-70: same or different?

wildprinter

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G5070
I was just wondering if anyone knows if the above ink refills bottles are the same? My printer takes GI-70s but I'm going to be moving countries and I see that there are only GI-50 bottles for sale where I will be.

Canon support on both ends gave me the same stock answer: they are not compatible… although they look the same to me.

I just wanted to see if anyone might know from experience if they are the same or different

Thanks!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Canon printers and ink cartridges are regionalized. Your G5070 printer and GI-70 inks are intended for use in Canon region 7 = Asia. The same printer for use in Canon region 5 = Europe is named G5050 and the inks are named GI-50. Except for the names the printers and inks are identical, meaning you can use the GI-50 inks in your G5070 printer.

In case of printers using ink cartridges chips prevent the use of cartridges of a different region in the printer, but the ink bottles are not chipped. I don't think the spouts on the bottles are different to prevent refilling a printer of another region.

Last edited:

wildprinter

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G5070
Canon printers and ink cartridges are regionalized. Your G5070 printer and GI-70 inks are intended for use in Canon region 7 = Asia. The same printer for use in Canon region 5 = Europe is named G5050 and the inks are named GI-50. Except for the names the printers and inks are identical, meaning you can use the GI-50 inks in your G5070 printer.

In case of printers using ink cartridges chips prevent the use of cartridges of a different region in the printer, but the ink bottles are not chipped. I don't think the spouts on the bottles are different to prevent refilling a printer of another region.
Thanks very much for the insight. It aligns with my suspicions, but I am still asking because I am wondering if they did indeed use different bottle designs for different regions even if the inks are the same. Would you (or anyone else) happen to have experience with the different ink bottles themselves?

If nobody knows then I guess I'll have to try and report back!