Canon inkjet printer survey... Our Printers have internal counters?!?

plevyadophy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@Grandad

The site from which I got my Waste Ink Tank full solution didn't have the EEPROM settings sequence. I saw that EEPROM thread but I am too much of a coward to attempt that on my printer in case something disasterous happens, especially as I really love the design of my printer and they don't make it anymore.

By the way, I have reset my printer without bothering to open it up and physically clean the Waste Pad/Tank. For how much longer can I get away with that?

Will it be OK for another 5 years? Or will I be compelled very soon to do the job properly?

And one last question: Do you have any experience as to Canon's support for very old printers, in terms of out of warranty repairs? I mean for how long do they keep parts? ( The reason I ask is that my current printer is in fantastic shape and has lasted 5 years, the model is probably 6 years old, and my printer could last for another 5 years I guess)

Thanks in advance

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Plevyadophy,

I don't know how much reserve capacity is in the ink pads, but I would think that in 5 years that the water in the ink has almost completely evaporated from your pads. Since ink is over 90% water, this should give you a lot of extra capacity, assuming that the printer doesn't take evaporation into consideration for its alarm.

I have no direct experience with this, but from what I have read there can be quite a mess if the ink starts to ooze out of the printer. If your printer is located on something where an ink drip wouldn't cause a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is located on something like a valuable desk or in a carpeted room, I would put something like a cookie sheet under it as a security measure.

I can't speak for Canon's long term printer support in the UK, but why not call their printer warranty service center (http://www.canon.co.uk/support/warranty/latest_warranty_news/index.asp - phone # 08705 143723) and ask them if they have parts for your printer?

plevyadophy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@Grandad35

Thanks for your reply.

With regard to the Waste Ink and the possibility that it could ooze out and make a mess. My printer is a portable printer and is often carried in a bag or a case. So it is therefore carried at all sorts of odd angles, including upside down.

So I wonder where the waste ink actually goes in my printer? Interesting isn't it?

Perhaps the tank is literally that, a tank, rather than a pad. And perhaps when the printer is switched off and the Print Head is parked, there is some mechanism that covers the waste ink tank to prevent spillage? I would really like to know but I don't wanna open the printer as it's a bit difficult on my printer.

I guess I will just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope it lasts another 5 years.

By the way, received my new Photo Colour Print Head. But given the discussion in this thread, i.e. the Print Heads appear to have a pre-programmed life span, I have not opened the box. I am not gonna use or test it until I actually need to do some top quality photo printing. That way the counter will start at a later date and thus I will have my Photo Print Head on my shelf for a bit longer than the last one (which packed up after having been used with just one set of ink tanks in 3 years).

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Plevyadophy,

You have an inkjet printer that is sometimes carried upside down?

Do you always let the printer sit in its proper orientation for at least 30 minutes before printing to allow the ink to flow back to the bottom of the carts? I remember reading something that came with a new cart that recommended that a new cart be stored in its upright position for at least this long before installation to get proper ink flow. If your printer can go directly from being upside down to printing, this precaution is obviously unnecessary.

plevyadophy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My printer only ends up upside for very short periods of time, for example, when I have to store my bag in the luggage compartment of a train or maybe when going through a security check.

Mostly, when it is not sitting correctly, it is in the vertical position.

But given that it is a portable printer I would guess that Canon would have designed things so that it could cope with being carried at angles other than the correct horizontal position.

plevyadophy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Waste Ink Tank Full Error - Cost - Canon
==========================

Just rang Canon to ask how much it would cost for them to replace Waste Ink Tank and reset counter.

The cost is around 45 including labour and taxes for the customer to post to Canon and for them to post back.

For Canon to do a Collect & Return service the total cost will be around 60.