Canon i9950 Paper Feed PROBLEM

Beaniecheese

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all, would be great if I could get some good feedback on this issue.

I've had my trusty Canon i9950 for a few years now, with no problems until today.

I tried to print onto A3 and the feeder decided to have none of it! It pulls to the right and the left looks redundant!

I've kept hold of resume button for 3 flashes to clear rollers several times, and put some paper through with a little window cleaner on it, just in case there was any crap on the rollers, to no avail.

With no other ideas other than trying to break into this fortress of a an inkjet and seeing if there are any dead cows or sheep in there, I'm completely flummuxed

panorton

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi I had a similar problem with an older printer once. It turned out to be a little piece of broken glass blocking the paper feed on the left side of the A3 sheet. A4s were unaffected. Might be worth a try looking for something in your feed area!

Beaniecheese

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I would have a look inside if I knew how to get into it. There's no obvious way of taking it apart, I have tried. :/

lewisham_phil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Beaniecheese, I have just posted on the thread that Grandad linked above: "the i9950 differs from US i9900 in that it has CD printing, which requires dropping the whole front of the paper carriage down to accommodate the CD carrier, using a large lever on the left.
The bracket through which this lever actuates needs to be removed (two screws I think), as well as the two screws that Brady38 mentioned, before the whole chassis can be lifted clear of the base.
As I recall, there are a number of toothed cogs, actuated by the lever, which are disengaged, and there is also a small spring on the bracket which needs unhooking. This is all from memory, so apologies if I've forgotten anything."

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Your i9950 should be the same as an i9900.
Beaniecheese , try cutting down a piece of heavy card or flexible plastic to a 1 inch strip and inserting it in the back feed try in the middle of your printer (remove any paper first). Then move the card to the left side of the feed to locate the obstruction and eider pushing it out sideways or straight through to the front. Its worth giving it a go, before you take the cover of your machine. I got a thumb tack out of my old Epson 950 that way .. O I think that lewisham_phil is mixing up some other printer with the 9950, as the cd tray just slides into the delivery tray in the front.

lewisham_phil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It's true that the i9900 is the same as the i9950 in all respects except for this latch on the left, which alters the height of the paper output tray down by 10mm or so, I assumed for for printing CD's, although I never used the feature (I think there must be some copyright reason that the US had this feature blanked off; I think most of the rest of the world got the i9950)

The Hat, I see you have a i9950; you can see the lack of the lever on the i9900 pictures posted.

The main point is that it is not so straightforward to remove the printer chassis from the base on the i9950, as the mechanism that connects the chassis to the paper tray needs to be disengaged (which was a bit fiddly, and required a little patience on reassembly to get the cogs engaged correctly as I recall). I assume (from the description on the i9900 disassembly post linked to earlier) that this is absent on the i9900.

Beanicheese, my i9950 pulled the paper in crooked, to the extent I built some guides of plastic to help hold the paper steadier as it was pulled in however I found the cause of the problem was a small spring (about 20mm x 3) which had come off the underside of the paper feed on the left hand side and was lying on the ink pad in the base. However, this was almost certainly down to me knocking it off during the previous disassembly whilst manhandling and supporting the chassis on chocks, and is not likely to be a fault that occurs out of the blue.