Canon i960 Purge Unit Problem and my solution..

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
After struggling for days troubleshooting my Canon i960 which took a nose dive in print quality (eventually printing nothing), I found that the purge unit wasn't doing it's job (duh).

However, I wsan't aware that the purge unit's peristaltic pump subassembly could be removed so easily. After opening the case and lifting out the "innards", the purge pump just "pops" out from below after undoing two plastic latches and the inlet tube. Upon removal, guess what I found???

BOTH tubes from the pump had become disconnected from the suction "manifold"! After cleaning and reconnecting them, and re-assembly, it now prints well (except for 4-5 unfiring/clogged nozzles revealed by the service print).

Don't know if other had this happen, but given the direction of rotation on the peristaltic rolls, it appears the tubes can eventually work loose. Then print qualty nosedives...even if ONE tube disconnects, you're purge unit is dead.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Turbguy,... your post needs some more explanation. You can't be describing a Canon i960 printer as the Purge unit is held in place buy two screws that can only be removed from the rear of the printer once the main printer assembly has been removed from the base. In addition, It is not necessary to disconnect any of the tubes to remove the purge unit,.... it comes out as one assembly. You do have to disconnect the cable from the drive motor and the purge cam sensor from the logic board or you can't get the unit out at all.

So I have no clue what printer you are talking about. I urge others with problems with the i960 to disregard this advice.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
On my i960, the purge pump (a black plastic cylinder) is SNAPPED together in halves (had to use a thin tool to undo the latches), making it easy to split the cylinder, remove the internals, access its interior to examine the "guts", and access the internal manifold (there's really 2 peristaltic pumps inside it). It was easy to re-attach the internal tubes I found had disconnected. Not sure if ALL i960's were built this way....