Canon i960 Print Head Alignment Info

puchala

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a two year old i960 printer and recently have been having some problems with lines/streaks being seen in photos. I have been using both Canon and non-Canon inks and I see the problem with both.

When I do a nozzle check, all colors seem to print OK (although quite faintly - which I think is normal ?) without streaks that I can see. With the A-H nozzle checks, the 'G' pattern showed streaks....so I did a manual print head alignment. When the page printed out, I can select a "good" number associated with a pattern that shows no streaking for all except the "G" pattern. All of the patters for "G" from -5 to +5 show streaking. The +5 pattern is the best, but it still shows some spaces between the lines.

I called Canon and they suggested that I try and clean the print head. I have taken it out and cleaned the print head (and done the print head cleaning/deep cleaning from the i960 maintenance window) but the problem still exists.

Anyone seen this? Also does anyone know what exactly the A-H nozzle checks are checking? Horizontal alignment? Veritcal alignment? The Cyan/Magenta have three patterns and there isn't one for yellow?

Thanks,

Colin

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The nozzle check shows if there is clogging of any of the jets. Go to the FAQ in this forum's index and read through the first item about why your printer isn't printing correctly. Lots of info on cleaning stubborn clogs.

puchala

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I did look through the FAQ and still had a few questions. With the nozzle check, the solid color patterns looked good, which I figured said that there wasn't necessarily a clog. It was the print alignment patterns that showed issues (specifically the "G" pattern). Could this still be due to a clog, or could it be an alignment issue for that particular pattern (whatever the "G" pattern represents).

puchala

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Anyone else know exactly what each test pattern "A" through "H" is showing on a Canon nozzle check or Alignment pattern?

I soaked my print head in warm water and it looks like all of the colors are flowning, but pattern "G" is still showing problems.