Canon i9100 prints only 2 colors

myronsilver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I replaced the printhead with a new one because old one was giving incomplete printing. Now after 5 deep cleanings, I can get only yellow & magenta to print. Any clues?

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You need to check the purge system operation first. If the purge system is not working, no amount of cleaning or deep cleaning will fix your problem. During cleaning, the purge system sucks ink out of ink cartridges through the nozzles. If the purges is not working, the cleaning is not carried out because no ink is going through the nozzles.

1. Open the printer cover.
2. Flood the purge system pads with Windex. These pads are located on the right hand side of your printer. It is where the printhead parks when idle. There are two of them. The left one is for the pigment black. The right one is for the color.
3. Close the cover.
4. Wait a minute and open the cover.
5. Is the Windex still on the purge pads? If yes, your purge system is not working. Report the result and wait for next instructions.

myronsilver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok the windex seemed to wash some of the ink through the pads and after a couple of sprays and light cleaning I am now getting black, magenta & yellow. I have (about 1 yr ago) taken the entire unit apart, cleaned the pads in water until no color would come out, reassembled and it worked. Then left the printer for about 9 months without use, but with the inks in the printhead.

Can I continue to repeat this Windex process? Or do I need to get at the pads for more thorough cleaning? Or something else?

Regards,

MS

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If the Windex does not stay on the pad, your purge system is working. Continue to flood the pads with Windex to flush the internal. No need to take the purge system apart to clean.

To unclog the print nozzles, take the cartridges out. Put some Windex on the ink inlet screen. Put back the cartridges. Wait for a few minutes to let the Windex to soak into the print head. Do a cleaning and nozzle check. Repeat this for a few time. Post the nozzle check for us to determine the exact problem.

Don't waste your ink with the deep cleaning cycles.

myronsilver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Progress: I am now getting color through all nozzles EXCEPT Photo Magenta. I put the Magenta cartridge into the PM slot and nothing comes through even after 6 runs.

One more note: after spraying the color pad with Windex, I use a paper towel to blot up some of the overage and moved the pad. I noticed that there were bits of white showing through the slots in the pad, but after repositioning it, I don't see them anymore. Could I have made a mistake in attempting to replace this pad?

Thanks,

MS

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
myronsilver said:
Progress: I am now getting color through all nozzles EXCEPT Photo Magenta. I put the Magenta cartridge into the PM slot and nothing comes through even after 6 runs.
Put Windex on the PM inlet screen. Replace the PM cartridge. Leave it for overnight soak.

One more note: after spraying the color pad with Windex, I use a paper towel to blot up some of the overage and moved the pad. I noticed that there were bits of white showing through the slots in the pad, but after repositioning it, I don't see them anymore. Could I have made a mistake in attempting to replace this pad?
Is the Windex stay on the color purge pad after close/open the cover?

It should be okay if the pad is inside the square well.

myronsilver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've tried 3 PM cartridges; that's not the problem as the M cart works in M slot but not in PM slot.

Therefore please clarify: PM inlet screen? Inside the brand new printhead?

Pad is inside squate well and under tabs on both sides. Which way do the slots in pad go? Closer to "front" of printer or back?

Thanks for quick and useful responses.

M

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
PM inlet screen = Photo magenta inlet screen where the ink cartridge outlet port meets.

I am not quite understand what do you mean by "slot"?

The purge pads are the pads that the print head parks on idle. The square one is for the color. The rectangular one is for the pigment black. Are we talking the same thing?

myronsilver

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice; unfortunately all failed. I got inside the unit and I think the pump was not working. Even with 5 colors on nozzle check, the print test had skips and gaps in teh printing, so time to move on.

However, I have a box of ink cartridges and an almost new printhead for the i9100. If you know if a way to put them to use, I would be willing to make a very reasonable deal.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have three i9100's and at least one of them has a bad print head. Please email me with your very reasonable deal.