Canon i860 Wobbly print

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

I was told there was a paper jam on my Canon i860 and they tried to pull the paper out, but it would not budge.
I looked at it and removed the sheet. It was angled at 45 degrees. Hard to pull out.
It didn't feed in properly which is why it all went wrong.

Anyway, The photo that printed next didn't print properly, funny line down one side.

I though the problem would go away, but the reality is it hasn't.

Looking at a Landscape printer page - Important to be in that mindset before reading on:

I'm looking at a spreadsheet and a row of characters is taller than it should be.
Some columns have the text going up a slight incline.
Others are going down.

What has gone wrong and is there a simple fix for this - the printer appears to be fine other than a few issues like that - most of the print is fine.

Thanks

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
and I see old print of it printing perfectly - any ideas what's gone wrong. Has anyone been in to see all the rollers etc?
BTW - this printer looks the same as an i960 - I think they're almost the same

Thanks

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
When I print a portrait spreadsheet, instead of straight lines down the page, they snake down the page, curving slightly to the left and then the right and so on down the page, about an inch per occurrance.

Are there any YouTube's showing the rollers etc for an i860 or i960, and what could go wrong - that could be helpful

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
optimizer said:
When I print a portrait spreadsheet, instead of straight lines down the page, they snake down the page, curving slightly to the left and then the right and so on down the page, about an inch per occurrance.

Are there any YouTube's showing the rollers etc for an i860 or i960, and what could go wrong - that could be helpful
I have seen this happened to my i550. It went away after I set the print quality to high which turns off the bi-directional printing.

The timing strip may be dirty which may affect the accuracy of the bi-directional printing. This is just my wild guess.

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Cheers Embguy.
I have a diagram of the i960 somewhere. Is it easy to get to the timing strip?
I'll try at changing the print quality too, first, to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks a lot!

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is the timing strip that bit of see-thru plastic at the front - seems to go from one side of the printer to the other, behind the back of the printhead? Looks a bit like some slightly wider cassestte tape, but without the brown magmetic material on it.
What can it be cleaned with - can I harm it cleaning it / scratching it?

Thanks

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You are a true gem Mr. Embguy.
Grease removed from timing strip.
The old printer's chugging away again - true, not wobbly.

I suppose I didn't know anything about that strip when I was hauling the sheet from the printer - got knuckles in grease and touched strip. It's probably good for anyone owning one of these i960 i860 printers to know about the timing strip.

Here's a link I refered to before doing anything to the strip.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2625

I officially designate you "Super" Embguy!!!!

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Congratulation for a job well done.

Thank you for the title. But we are here to learn from each other.

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I forgot to tell you the title only lasts for 24 hours....
then we're in the dark again learning from eachother.

anyway, you really did save my bacon - I have to get some very important prints out this week. Thanks!