Canon i860 marks on prints

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I beg your pardon if this question has been addressed. My i860 had a leaking cartidge, now I have a series of marks on prints that appear to be coming from a roller. They are small dots and dashes evenly spaced down the page in a particular area. They start a bit down from the top of the print and end near the bottom. I've tried cleaning what I can figure out to clean but nothing seems to be helping. Can anyone tell me where to go from here?

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
In looking more closely at the marks, they appear to be over-lapping partial circles.

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think I've discovered the problem. There was a bit of hair and lint caught under the corner of the print carriage (in a semi-circular shape) and the leaking ink tank has saturated everything with ink so it was making little prints of itself on every pass. Since disturbing the hair and lint colony under the carriage, I have managed to make more mis-marks on the prints. Is there a good way to clean under the carriage?

popsy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Here's how I ended up cleaning the area under the printhead carriage. I cut long strips of paper, folded them in half and pushed them under the carriage and out the other side where I could grasp the end. I pulled them, carefully, back and forth, changing them when dirtied. I wet some of the paper with alcohol to get out as much ink as possible. I can now print with no extraneous ink marks.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I read of a technique where you take a piece of good quality watercolor paper, dampen it with windex, and print a few blank files to run it through the paper transport area. Do not make the mistake I did which was to use a different kind of paper that had less wet strength. In addition, be sure to just dampen it and not get it really wet. It tore while going through the printer and screwed up the paper transport. Luckily, it was on an Epson printer I was about to replace with a Canon i960 (with easily refillable good quality bulk inks) per Neil Slade's advice.