canon i850 quit

gean

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi to all;

I currently have a canon i850 printer, it quit working. Before it quit it had streeks, i tired to clean it and have done it before, but this time it just quit. Won't even power up. My question, any suggestion. I should mention that i reload my cartriges. I have been doing this since the bjc 600, 610, 4400, and the i850. (it to the point where you can buy a printer cheeper that the print head, no use in fixing what isn't working)

I would like to replace it with a canon ip5200. But have been reading that refilling the cartrige causes a problem. I have mixed feeling about what i have read. I would appreciate anyone opinion on this matter. (I was wondering if any one has looked at the print register to see if it can be worked on this way?)

I also feel that it may be against the law to force us to use canon ink. Ayone have a though on this? (i feel it like auto manufactors telling you to use shell, or mobil fule only.)

I don't care for lexmark, epson, hp printer, but i have to i would get a single cartrige epson. (Note if epson, and lexmark have changed the don't tell you how much ink are in there cartriges, only hp and canon do.......check it out next time your in office max, bestbuy, ext. Would you go to a gas station and fill up the car/van and then pay without know what your getting? I doubt it)

I read every post that i can find..... i know that they are tons more but, any new sight appreciated.

last question, what about color lazers? any thought.

thanks to all who respond.

gean

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
If you can find an ip4200 or ip5200 with good price go for it. Refilling of these printers are easy and many people have done it. But if you don't want to do the refill yourself then forget it. There are no compatible cartridges for these printers yet. If you can handle refilling Canon printers, despite chipped ink cartridges, are still the easiest to refill. Because you will be refilling Canon OEM cartridges you will be less likely running into print head clogs. If you search internet there are very few print head clogging reports from these Canon new printers. I don't remember seeing any in fact. There are 3rd party inks available. Canon is benefitting from those 3rd party contenders. There are really very few (again I have seen none) clogging reports and so must be warranty claims.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Actually the Epson rectangular spngeless cartridges will refill as many times as you want to 100% new (unlike the Canon "wicking" issue) plus the chips are conquered with resetters. They've gone to the top of my nice printers because of Canon chips.....

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Gean,

From what I see, a color laser is only equal in color cost printing to something like a Canon ip4200---OEM cartridges to OEM toners---and forget photoprinting---thats something a color laser will not do.

And some 2-4 K prints down the road you will face a $300 or better expense replacing the all the toners.---and many color lasers short shot their toners.

A Canon printer using refill ink will run rings around a color laser in terms of cost and quality of output.