Canon i560 horiz color banding on regular paper but OK on photo paper

sportflyer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
When I print a picture on regular paper I get horiz color banding ( bands of dark and light color in areas where it should be one color ) . I get these bands across the whole picture . However when I print a picture on photo paper I don't get this problem. The printer is a Canon i560 .

When I print the Nozzle check patterns, I do not get a smooth color rendering , I get a lighter upper band and a darker lower band for each of the colors.

I also don't get smooth rectangular blocks of colors for the alignment patterns . Some blocks have a alternate color and white verticle stripes on the top half and smooth color on bottom half of the block.

Please advise what to do to fix this ? Thanks

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Not an uncommon problem. Sounds like the printer is laying down enough ink when using a photo paper setting, but does not put out enough ink on a plain paper setting.Others may have a better way of fixing this, but here is what I did.

Go into your printer folder from Control Panel. Right-click on your printer icon, then left-click "printing preferences". Under the plain paper setting in the print quality section, put click in the "custom " box, then click "set".

The i560 generally defaults to# 4 on the "fast on the fast-fine line. Click on # 2, then click OK.

Next time you print, it will be a bit slower, but the quality should improve when using the plain paper setting...good luck!!

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Manushau - wouldn't this possibly have to do with a poorly feeding cart or partial clog? Do these units do a double pass on photo paper settings that would print over the defects from a single pass on plain paper????

sportflyer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Manuchau said:
Not an uncommon problem. Sounds like the printer is laying down enough ink when using a photo paper setting, but does not put out enough ink on a plain paper setting.Others may have a better way of fixing this, but here is what I did.

Go into your printer folder from Control Panel. Right-click on your printer icon, then left-click "printing preferences". Under the plain paper setting in the print quality section, put click in the "custom " box, then click "set".

The i560 generally defaults to# 4 on the "fast on the fast-fine line. Click on # 2, then click OK.

Next time you print, it will be a bit slower, but the quality should improve when using the plain paper setting...good luck!!
I even cleaned the print head to no effect BUT using your method above it worked like a charm . Thanks
However this means that I will never get a decent color print when using std or draft :(

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Fotofreek...in most cases, you would be correct.. the problem would be a poorly feeding cart or partial clog. However, in this case, his printer was printing photos well on photo paper settings, which leads me to believe that while his printhead might shortly need flushing, he could improve his quality for now by using the higher quality setting when using plain paper.

Sportflyer, Fotofreek is correct, in that you may have a printhead problem, but it is not serious for now. Chances are, however, that you will have to flush your printhead soon, or replace it in the future.

In any case, welcome to this Forum...there are many knowledgeable people here who are willing to help. Keep asking questions!!

sportflyer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey guys how do you flush the print head? I have already soaked the print head with windex+ammonia, then followed by 95% isopropyl alcohol for 1/2 hr in a shallow dish with paper towels to no avail.

Can this problem also be due to poor ink flow from the ink cartridges? I have accidentally allowed the cartidges to run dry once or twice about 8 to 10 months ago . However as I recall the printer ran fine after I refillled the BTW cartridges. This problem started about 5 months ago . I did not bother to fix it until now because I only use the printer maybe once in 2 weeks and its not critical printing . I usually use the printer in draft mode just for records of web transactions . Once in a while I do photo prints for the grandkids.

Is there was a definite way to tell whether it's the ink cartridges or printhead .?

Replacing the printhead is quite expensive and I would rather buy a new printer for a bit more but I still have quite a lot of replacement inkrefills for this printer :(

So any help that would fix the problem would be very much appreciated.

BTW is there a way to attach .jpg picture in this forum to show what I get when I print?

Thanks

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Sportflyer....

You just described the problem. The people who have the fewest problems in general with their printers are the ones who use their printers on a regular basis...every day or so. Using a printer sporadically will lead to problems with printheads...ask any Epson owner!!!

Your problem may disappear with more frequent use as the nozzles may open up somewhat if used more often. In the meantime, you can use up your stash of older cartridges.

Replacing the printhead may be necessary at some point, but my suggestion to you would be to keep this printer. This printer is fast, and very inexpensive to use.....certainly cheaper than almost any model out there right now.It sounds like it has not been used very much...lucky you!!

As for flushing the printhead, I'd try using the printer more frequently for a while...you might not need to do this if you print regularly for a while.

When you want to do a flush in the future, juat leave a note here.

As for uploading a picture, note the "upload" tab on the top of this page...and follow the directions.

sportflyer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can you describe how to do a flush so I can try this in about 2 weeks time?

I can't upload because it says I dont have permission . Will contact the forum admin.

Tks

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Basically, it involves removing the printhead, which holds the 4 cartridges. You'll see the 4 chambers, and the 4 rounded screens. Then have to put it
under running water, and you will see colour running out of the bottom. After a minute or 2, flip it over and run the water over it, bottom side up. You may have to do this many times before it runs clear both ways. Depending on the severity, it might take 20 minutes, or several hours. When it runs clear, gently shake the printhead to remove as much water as possible. Leave the printhead on a towel or rag overnight in a warm spot, and insert it into your printer next morning. install the cartridges, do a cleaning or print a purge page or 2, and you should do fine.
Others may have a faster way, but this works for me..best of luck!!

As for uploading, see this topic:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36

sportflyer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
At first I was thinking of dipping the heads in warm water or Isopropyl alcohol then forcing air thru the ink inlet screens with a Syringe and some sort of hose coupling . Maybe I should your more gentle method first before trying more drastic measures. I did try dipping the print head in alcohol but maybe not long enough and did not force flush the ink out or reverse flush it. Thanks