Canon i550 does not print black on paper only

dejudicibus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Since yesterday my Canon i550 stopped printing black. It can print in color but not in black. However it could print gray, so I suspected a driver or Windows XP problem rather that simply dirty heads. So I did some test and... wow: it can prnt black if I select any paper type BUT plain common paper. So it is a problem of some parameter in registry or some setting inside the printer firmware. The cartridge is OK, the heads too: it CAN print black but it does NOT want if I select standard paper. What's wrong, and how to fix it? Reinstalling the driver does not work.

Dario de Judicibus

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Dario,

Not sayimg I am definitely right, but what you see as black may be some mix of cyan, magenta, and yellow.
-If that is the case, maybe you do need to look at the BCI-3ebk black cartridge and the parts of the printhead responsible for printing the large black text cartridge.

dejudicibus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
No, I did several tests: it *is* black. Printer works fine with ANY kind of paper selected BUT the standard one. Of course I am speaking of paper selected in teh option: does not matter which physical paper I really use. So, tehre is a problem in the options, probably in registry, or in printer firmware.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have never used the i550, but I will assume that its paper selection and ink use are similar to the ip4000 and other printers that have a larger bci-3 black pigmented ink tank and smaller color tanks (three in the i550, four in the ip4000.) When you select plain paper the pigmented black tank is used, When any other of the paper types is selected only the smaller tanks are used and anything that is supposed to print as black uses a combination of the smaller tanks' inks to approximate black. In the case of printers like the ip4000 that have four small tanks, one has black ink in it. With a printer like the i550 the printer uses the three colors, Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow, to print black. It often comes out some shade of gray, and can also have a color cast in the magenta or cyan direction. I would bet that the problem is either a bad pigmented black tank, clogged printhead for that tank, or some electrical or electronic glitch that prevents those jets from firing.

dejudicibus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
I would bet that the problem is either a bad pigmented black tank, clogged printhead for that tank, or some electrical or electronic glitch that prevents those jets from firing.
Well, yes, i550 has a big black tank and three small color tanks. I tried three different black tanks, so it is NOT the cartdrige. I cleaned the head deeply several times, so it is not a clogged printhead. If it is some electrical problem I am in a mess, ain't I?

Doug

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It would be helpful if you would perform a nozzle check and describe the results. I have the i550 too and it was not printing colors well. The nozzle check always printed out a distorted cyan color. This exact pattern never changed even after attempting numerous cleanout procedures. I replaced the printhead ($54) and now all is well. During this time I also purchased a Canon ip4200 for $83 but I don't use it much. It prints great but I am waiting for the opportunity to procure cheaper (non Canon) cartridges. Paying more for a set of cartridges than I paid for the printer is crazy.

dejudicibus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well, replacing the printhead is not a solution, in my opinion. The printer is only two years old, and normally used. If Canon printers are so weak, maybe I can look for an alternative.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you need to replace your printhead. Did you take a nozzle check?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Are you using OEM Canon black carts, prefilled aftermarket carts, or refilling? There have been several posts reporting that some aftermarket prefilled black pigment ink carts have clogged the print head nozzle for that particular cart. Have you tried cleaning beyond the software cleaning routine? What cleaning attempts have you made?

dejudicibus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
OEM Canon black carts, high quality. They always performed well.
I have not tried yet cleaning. I was told I have to use a mix of water and ammoniaca (50%).
Any hint?