Canon G2100 doesn’t print in color – ERROR 5200

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What should I do now? A Deep Cleaning? Try to print some color pages to make the ink flow? Or what?
To me, that print head looks fubar and no amount of cleaning will help, because you never print any test sheets when you have a poor nozzle check and secondly only run deep cleans sparingly because they too can damage the print head if used to frequent.

Question;- Are you using OEM ink or 3rd party ?..

Paloma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L220
@The Hat

Oh, no... do you mean the color print head is damaged? But I just printed in color once in a while and I didn't do anything wrong. Can it be ruined just by doing nothing? Should I print more often to avoid damaging the head? (even if Canon doesn't say nothing about it, at least clearly, in a way that the consumer knows).

I have only used Canon ink. I think I have never refilled the color tanks. And I just refilled the black tank once.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What should I do now?
You have not followed the advice presented in my posts, or , had difficulty following the advice. Frustrating results for both of us. Still, I'll entertain your question for whatever it is worth.

Your nozzle check most likely represents an irreparable print head failure, logic assay board failure, or both. There are no guarantees that a new print head will resolve all issues. My history with non-tank printers has been changing out the print head for a new one usually resolves the issues you are having. But, as I said, no guarantees.

It may be that improvement in the nozzle check could come from further cleanings, both deep and system. The idea is if there is a clog then ink may act as a solvent and dissolve the ink clog over time. Running a cleaning and then letting the printer rest over time may also aid in dissolving a clog. However, these type cleaning may thermally stress out the print head and further the failure, so be judicious. Your manual probably has recommendations on how often they advise doing these. I'd say no more than 1 per day at the most and not both in the same day. But this is just a guess on my part. Read your manual.

Maybe removing the print head and flushing it with water and soaking it in water with a few drops or Dawn or Fairy liquid dish washing detergent may help if there are clogs Patience is key - soak for as long as you can stand it - days. Rinse and then let dry since wet electrical contacts can cause a short and then the print head will be finished. I doubt this will resolve your issues, but if you want to try after all else is done then have at it.

Based on my light readings the cause of empty tubing in the tank printers, I wonder if you let the printer sit for good periods of time without being used. This is a cause of air in the tubing. Inkjet printers seem to remain in good shape if you use them regularly, even if it is a small print job on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. You may be able to go longer if OEM inks are used. Also, stop printing anything but nozzle checks if ink is missing on the page otherwise you can burn out nozzles in the print head, which may be a part of the issue with your print head. Electrical malfunction certainly is at play with your print head.

At some point with continued cleanings you will need to refill the tanks, something you have seemed to want to avoid. When that time comes and the issues are not resolved then consider a new printer.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@rodbam - Hello Stranger! Hope the world is treating you well. :frow

Paloma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L220
I asked a technician in my city. I showed him the nozzle check and he told me that there is an electric failure in the color head. I asked him if he can determine that just by seeing the nozzle check and if it is useless to keep trying cleaning the heads. He said yes.

And that the head can be replaced and costs less than 30% of a new printer.

He said that there are different reasons why an electric failure can happen. He didn’t give me a specific answer. We “talked” via Whatsapp messages so that is what I was able to find out for the moment.

Do you agree?

He didn’t mention a logic assay board failure for the moment. But I could ask him about it.

You have not followed the advice presented in my posts, or , had difficulty following the advice. Frustrating results for both of us. Still, I'll entertain your question for whatever it is worth.

I don’t understand this. When I did not follow the advice?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Unfortunately I have no further advice for your printer. I have given you what I know. Reread the entire thread and try what you deem appropriate.

In the end, a new printer will bring resolution. A new print head very well may as well, though I cannot make a 100% guarantee as the exact cause and the total ramifications of the problem can not be known for sure (logic assay board involvement, issue with tubing or their air tight seal, etc).

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Paloma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L220
@stratman

OK, thank you for your assistance.

Luckily I can still print in black and I rarely need to print in color. So I am going to do nothing for the moment.