Canon - Don't make them like they used to?

Footprint

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new all-in-one Canon printer. It will be used in roughly equal measure for basic text docs and photos (I am a keen photographer).

I've been looking at three models - the MP610, MP620 and MP630.

The MP620 offers wireless printing, which I really like the sound of. But it's not as quick as the other 2 and doesn't offer duplex printing.

The MP610 is an older model, and uses older cartridges which are larger. It is heavier, maybe quieter?? Researching this and other forums it seems it might be a better bet but I'm not sure if it outweighs the convenience of wireless (I own 2 macbooks).

The MP630 seems to be much like the 610 but lighter, and with the new (small) tanks. Maybe less economical to run.

Can anyone offer any more info/advice? To be honest I probably won't be re-filling tanks myself if this makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Footprint

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Update: Have ordered the MP610 from Amazon.

Decided against the MP630 based on this review

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/231915/canon-pixma-mp630.html?searchString=MP630

This narrowed it down to either the 610 or the (wireless) 620

MP610 is 15 cheaper than the MP620
Faster
Quieter
Better scanner
Bigger tanks/cheaper cost per page

Figured the wireless wasn't worth compromising on all that.

Hope I made the right choice?

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You wont regret buying an MP610, I didn't.

I don't know about wireless printing and what not having it would do with Macs. Mines on the desk attached by USB, but is available via the PC to anything thats on my "network" (ie. the wireless laptop) so wireless wasn't an issue.

Photo print quality is excellent, but as we all know print performance depends on the paper as well as the printer.

It's a weighty lump of a machine, has an internal paper tray and a rear sheet feed, good controls. Ink life is good.

Duplex printing is naturally slow, print page, wait for dry, print 2nd page and uses both blacks for some reason. Duplex is good if you have a big document you can press print, using the lower tray, and go and do something else. If you need to do a short document from Word, it would be quicker to do the old "print odd, then print even" manual print, for a few sides, this uses only pigment ink on text documents for best quality. But hey, if someone was doing double sided document printing all the time, they would be using a laser.

If you choose to reset and refill, this is relatively easy, but if not good 3rd party carts are easily available.

Nicest printer I've owned.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Froggy said:
Duplex printing is naturally slow, print page, wait for dry, print 2nd page and uses both blacks for some reason.
Just a reminder that the wait time can be cut using 'Custom Settings' - I haven't seen any problems when set to minimum.

15gvzbt.jpg