Canon CLI551/581, PGI550/551 Chip pin out, reset..

cmato

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP900
Hello, do know somebody some information about chip in Canon cartridges CLI551/581, PGI550/581? I know that is possible to buy auto reset ship, or chip resetter, but to create own "arduino restter" is more fun :) I can't find nothing bout it. Pin out, chip datasheet, communicating protocol, ...
I found only this video
and in attachment is detailed picture from original canon cartridge.
Chip is marked as 1619 and T505

Attachments

• 20220324_223958.jpg
    20220324_223958.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 109

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Unlikely you'll find anything public as it was all developed commercially. The main problem with these isn't the design of the chip so much as the encryption that's used to obfuscate the information the chip is providing.

I've spoken to one of the main manufacturers for these (REdSETTER) and they've indicated it's too damned difficult to work out the new encryption for the 580/581 generation of chips... On top of that there's also a question of whether or not the printers now "remember" the chips that have been used in the past (ie: each chip has a unique ID) and blocks them from being reused. That's pure guesswork and REdSETTER wouldn't confirm or deny that was even a factor.

From a purely experimental POV you can have fun doing it but I suspect you'll be the one providing the information rather than finding anyone elses.

Good Luck!