ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
jackson said:
ghwellsjr said:
The printer will not report a bunch of empty carts. In fact, I have a set of empty carts which I put in my printer before putting in full carts to reset the ink level indicators, if necessary. I like to think of the prism as reflecting light when the cart is empty.
Seems contradictory.
Are you saying that if you put an empty cart in the printer it will not be reported as empty, but the reflected light from the prism indicates an empty cart?
I know that if you cover the base of a cart with black tape, the cart will not change status to 'empty'.
That seems to say that the light (when the tank is full) passes through the prism and only when the ink level changes does the light reflect through the prism surfaces back to a receiver.
And the Canon site refers to 'refracted' light not 'reflected'.
Whats the diff and when does this light turn on?
Jackson, in re-reading this thread, I now understand why you thought I was making contradictory statements which I didn't catch the first time I responded to your question.

The contradiction goes away if you look at the preceding sentence (post #29): you will see that what I am saying is that if you remove a cartridge from the printer, the printer will not report it as empty. You have to actually insert an empty cartridge in the printer for it to report it as empty. The printer will report empty carts as empty but it will not report missing carts as empty (or missing). That's because it takes light reflecting back down into the sensor for the printer to detect an empty cartridge.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Jackson, in re-reading this thread, I now understand why you thought I was making contradictory statements which I didn't catch the first time I responded to your question.

The contradiction goes away if you look at the preceding sentence (post #29): you will see that what I am saying is that if you remove a cartridge from the printer, the printer will not report it as empty. You have to actually insert an empty cartridge in the printer for it to report it as empty. The printer will report empty carts as empty but it will not report missing carts as empty (or missing). That's because it takes light reflecting back down into the sensor for the printer to detect an empty cartridge.
No problem.I had previously teased out what was meant... and it makes perfect sense.I just didn't want to expose my thick headedness and risk my 'Guru' status.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
It does not seem to be made perfectly clear that the chipped printer has a functional 'empty' detector as earlier printers had. My iP4200 does have the detector assembly which Grandad35 describes about 9 posts back.

I have not done a specific trial of:

A cartridge with remaining ink reported, emptied like a leak, triggers 'empty' or not ?

But it is a good bet that it will trigger 'empty' and stop the printer. Doesn't this take away some of the worry concerning head damage due to running empty when refilling and printing without a functional Ink Monitor ? I think so.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
canonfodder said:
I have not done a specific trial of:

A cartridge with remaining ink reported, emptied like a leak, triggers 'empty' or not ?

But it is a good bet that it will trigger 'empty' and stop the printer. Doesn't this take away some of the worry concerning head damage due to running empty when refilling and printing without a functional Ink Monitor ? I think so.
I'd add a quick additional point to that test..

Test 1. Do so before the system has registered the tank as empty (ie: before accepting warranty invalid messages)

Test 2. Do AFTER the tank has been marked as empty and refilled, accepted warnings and then drained again.

I have a sneaky suspicion that one of two things happens..
Either:
1. The printer locks up completely and demands new OEM cartridges without saying why
2. The printer continues to print and allows the head to burnout.