Canon ChromaLife 100 vs Refill (Precision Colors)

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
. I think all judging should be carried out by a panel of non photographers, (passers-by, selected from the street:eek: and offered some inducement to give up some time).
I'm with you 100% there. That would guarantee that my kitten and puppy photos got the recognition they truly deserve!

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Don't under estimate the public!

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Don't under estimate the public!

Hmmm - I thought the quote was, "Never underestimate human stupidity". - Robert A. Heinlien

Who also said amongst other things, "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors and miss."

Don't get me started on Camera Club Judging. ;-)

I'm inclined to side with Roger, that with a lay judge any picture of a young offspring human or domestic will be a sure winner.

You only have to master two things to enjoy Camera club competitions:

1: Don't take it too seriously - It's only a two dimensional image for god's sake!
2: Be GENUINELY pleased for your friends when their pictures score better than yours and win awards.

I will now spare you the diatribe whilst I sulk and stick pins into effigies of judges.

Roy Sletcher
"Still a grumpy old curmudgeon"

PS: It is a beautiful Sunday morning in Ottawa, and I am off to Brunch with my family.

sbrads

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
iP4700
IS inks on Canon PP201 Glossy paper isn't as good as OEM Chromalife on the same paper using an iP4700 - however, it can be good enough for high quality photos that have some resistance to fade. By that I mean if you store them either behind glass, in a photo album or even just chuck them loose in a drawer, they don't fade in say 3yrs, but if you leave them on a sunny window sill they will fade in 3 months quite a lot where OEM doesn't fade at all. Colours are a bit different but it seems to be all due to the magenta and I have a feeling fade is primarily due to magenta with IS inks as well. The colours can be made to look the same as OEM by tweaking the magenta quantity in the iP4700 driver in my case but it could be an ink batch issue - I don't know. I've not tried it but I wouldn't be surprised if using OEM magenta and IS refill for everything else would be a good compromise between cost/colours/fading.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Printing is not an inexpensive process, even with significant savings in refill inks. Ink is just one of the cost inputs to a finished print, think on all the gear a professional has to have at their disposal to meet customer needs......
and there it is in that phrase "customer needs" What a person wants from the print is to me the key point. Others may see things differently.

I have the gear to make images, and I have the gear to print, so far so good ?

AND

I have a printer that needs to be used daily, and I need as much skill to make one GOOD print as I will need to make a hundred.

So, for me the choice is simple, once I am gone, few if any are going to want my images that take up space, and are of subjects that are mostly of interest to me alone.

I decided that for me, the enjoyment is the process of imagination,creativity, learning,doing etc. and long print life is for me not a practical consideration. I actually look forward to the day I have to reprint one of my images because it gives me the excuse to apply all the new skills that I have acquired in between time to the new version that I am reprinting.

On the other hand, besieged as I am by the curators of many of the Worlds truly great Museums, for copies of my (Humble) works of exquisite eloquence, I have been forced to have limited stocks of actual photographic paper and long life inks, just for them :gig

Ps

Visited with a local Church Charity Store (Opportunity Shop in Australia) and purchased three frames for A$5 for the lot. They all have mat boards, good glass and with a clean up and a fresh image are just the best thing for giving my creativity a whirl. The challenge is to print the right image for the frame and mat board colour.....$2 for frame, 30 cents for the paper and a cent or two for the ink. cheap as chips!!

In a couple of years when I am gone, someone will wonder into a Charity Shop, see my faded print and frame and .........

Andrew

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
At my time of life I got much the same problem, He hang… :oops:
Typo...:lol:

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I have some Canon dye ink & IS refill dye ink photos displayed behind glass on my walls for over 5 years now & they both still look the same.
Great information! What printer? What kind of lighting conditions?

Last edited: