Canon cart cross-color contamination: A NEW EXPLANATION

graemev

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
OK FYI. I have an IP400R (WiFi version)

I had streaking problems so I bought a new print head (3 days) ago. Did various test with a a new set of cartridges mostly jetctech cartridges , Mangenta was Original canon(refilled)... all looked fixed (guess the head had just 'worn out')

Today I noticed the colours were wrong. On checking I noticed the Magenta cartridge was printing cyan. Removed it
and found it had a lot of Cyan ink in it (did not have before ... obviously) ... so this is a brand new canon printhead.

I did experience this once before (with previous head) and it was due to leaving some tape blocking the breathing hole...my guess was it created airlock which sucked up cyan ink once the magenta cartridge had used some ink (so creating a vacuum) ...so I've replaced the Magenta cartridge with a new jettech one.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I would use automotive clear silicone RTV sealant to seal the printhead gasket, don't know if it would work, but you need to let it dry for a week at least. And using a finger to spread the selant is not a bad idea, if you washed your hands very good :)

But I would use something else with no oil.

The Tech

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok, I'm at my wit's end. Thus ends my trying to figure the whole thing out...

websnail and Ron350 state that printheads for this model (IP3000) can be had for cheap...
The best price I managed to find was about 100$US w/shipping. That's about twice what I paid for the printer, new. I would still like to breathe new life into this one if possible, especially it being a BCI-6/BCI-3e cart type.
If anyone knows where I can get a printhead, please tell me. :/

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Tech it would help to know where you are located.

The Tech

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ron350 said:
Tech it would help to know where you are located.
Oops! Yeah, lol. :D

I'm in the area of Montreal, QC, Canada.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Thanks Tech that helps because I will not attempt to ship out side of the lower 48 states anymore. LOL

If you plan to keep the iP3000 the best thing to do is buy a cheap used i560 with a good print head. That way you can confirm that the print head is good by doing test prints on the i560. Then transfer the print head over to the iP3000 and see if it works.

Remember there is a chance that a bad print head can damage the printer circuit board. Also there is a chance that a damaged printer circuit board can kill a good print head.
Thank goodness this has not happened to me yet but I keep reading about it over at the repair forum. I am sure the older forum members know much more about this than I do.

Sure hope you get the iP3000 working again.

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my 3000. Any conclusions as to what was causing the problem?

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
leo8088,

Thanks for the explaination. I believe that you are correct - the yellow and magenta showed cyan contamination. After changing the cartridge, cyan was visible on the outlet until cleaning and printing a color chart. I changed all three color cartridges and will check again tonight. This was with Procolor cartridges and had a similar problem a while ago with my 9900 - I changed to refilled OEM carts and have not had a problem since.

Thanks for the help.

fish

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've had this problem too. It seems some black has gotten into the yellow, but the yellow seem to still print yellow. It's weird, but I have noticed I have streaking problems. I have to do several cleanings to get a good nozzle check. I just figured it was because I don't print alot, but maybe the two are related.