canon black ink

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
does anyone know if the black ink from a BCI-3e BK is the same ink they use in the PGBK in a IP4200 i believe they are both pigment while the CLI-8BK is dye. thanks

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Yes, you're right. The BCI-3eBk is equivalent as the PGI-5Bk (pigment), while the BCI-6BK is comparable with the CLI-8BK (dye), but the latter one has improved light- and oxidationfastness (improved formula).

alexandredp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a problem with my BCi-6bk which appears clogged after using Calidad refill, other colours an dbig black wen tliek a dream and print perfectly... but when usign th ephoto type papre usign the 6bk, it appears meerely dark blue/purple as no black is coming out... shoudl I clean up the 6bk part? how do I go about it then please?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
A major improvement of the pigment black ink used in the chipped cartridges is that it will not smear when you use a yellow highlighter pen on it.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
A major improvement of the pigment black in used in the chipped cartridges is that it will not smear when you use a yellow highlighter pen on it.
:)) Yeah, that's a good point. No more pencil underlining ;)

Gracey

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Alexandredp wrote:

I have a problem with my BCi-6bk which appears clogged after using Calidad refill

This is my first post. I have been hanging around this very knowledgable forum for almost a year now: Normally I don't think I have anything valuable to add BUT you said THE MAGIC WORD - CALIDAD.
Alex*, if your are in Australia, the following may be pertinent, if you are not, then disregard.
Calidad are a brand of refills that are widely available from major retailers in Aus. For a short time I used them (sucessfully?- I suppose so). I have a pixma MP760 which I had noticed had 2 black carts. Given my (then) ignorance, I supposed that there was a good reason for this. So when I found that Calidad supplied prefilled carts for BCI-6Bk, but did not supply bulk ink for those (ie. dye black) but only bulk ink for BCI-3bk (ie. pigment ink) I sent off an E-Mail to them asking about this discrepancy. Their failure to reply led to (among other things) to this forum. For better or worse, I now import Hobbicolors Inks. Forgive my maunderings (it is after all my first post). The point of all this is that it is possible that you have filled your BCI-6Bk cart with pigment ink instead of dye ink.