Canon black cartridges use

deehart42

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Canon print that has two black ink cartriges. The small cartridge is quickly used up, but the large cartridge seems to be unused. How do I get the printer to use the large cartridge?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
deehart42 Print lots and lots of plain text on matt paper thats how, as the small black cartridge is used only for photos.. :)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you tell your printer you are printing on matte paper, it will use the small black cartridge because matte paper is photo paper. If you want the printer to use the large black cartridge, you must tell it that you are printing on plain paper. You can then actually print on matte paper if you want.

It doesn't matter whether you are printing text, graphics, or photos, it will use the large black cartridge, as long as you tell it you are printing on plain paper. There is one exception to this rule: it will switch to the small black cartridge if you tell it you want to print borderless.

deehart42

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you. I will use the plain paper option.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
deehart42 said:
Thank you. I will use the plain paper option.
Warning: the plain paper option will dramatically reduce the printing resolution, so be warned !!!