Canon BCI-6 tank size..

gparvan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Howdy,
tiz my first post here on this site!

I searched but didn't find the answer to my question.

I have an old Canon S800 that uses BCI-6xx cartridges and I'm wondering how much juice each one holds? My guess is around 15 mls, but thought somebody here might have the exact.

Thanks.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I believe it is 13 to 14 ml. Usable ink, however, is less as you don't want to run it dry and risk ruining your printhead.

gparvan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
many thanks. I've now calculated the benefits of upgrading my printer to an Epson Pro3800.

ustilago

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I filled a set of these today. The 6's hold 10-12 mL and the 3E hold 15-20 mL

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
gparvan - I have read that Epson printers do more head cleanings than Canon printers and, therefore, waste more ink. I can't verify this info, but I saw it reported many times on the printer newsgroup. The volume of ink doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. Some of the newer HP inkjets have a fairly low volume of ink in the carts but are more stingy with ink use. Has something to do with recycling the waste ink used in head cleaning within the cart itself.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I vacuum refilled 75 BCI-6 cartridges with 1 liter of ink which comes to 13.3 ml per cartridge, however, some of the ink is wasted so I would say the actual average amount in each cartridge was 12 ml.

I also refilled 33 BCI-3eBK cartridges with 1 liter of ink which comes to 30.3 ml per cartridge but maybe 27 ml or less after waste.

See this link:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=10440#p10440

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I believe that the official Canon listed ink amount for a BCI-6 is 14 ml. I also recall a very old post made by JD to the effect that usable ink is around
75% of that volume when low ink triggers. The post by JD was scientific in MHO, and deduced from weight of totally empty cartridge, the weight of a
low ink triggered cartridge, and the specific gravity of Canon ink.