Canon and Pigmented Black

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have noticed problems after refilling the bci-3ebk tank(s) with HC ink.The nozzle check fails miserably (the grid pattern) and repeated cleaning cycles are required to get an acceptable print (although, as a test, removing the cover on the fill hole results in the ink flowing freely from the exit hole).
Note that the tanks were tried in two printers with the same results.In each case this was the first refill for these tanks.
Two were original Canon tanks.One a third party tank (not HC).They work eventually, but the hassle/production ratio is discouraging.

I will try a virgin HC cart at the next replacement to see if they make any difference.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To jackson,

Somewhat of an odd report---on a N of three--two Oem canon and one a third party cartridge. But one thing Dave at hobbicolors recommends is a slight sideward squeeze of the cartridge prior to putting the cartridge into the printer---which might remove the eventually from the "eventually they work."

If the ink outlet hole has quite a bit of dried ink, forcing quite a few drops of ink through could dissolve those deposits. And get the cartridges feeding properly again. Another suggestion is making sure the sponge has not dried away from the ink out let hole. See various threads on reseating the sponge by giving it a slight tap.

Have you had any similar problems with any of the virgin BCI-6 hobbicolors cartridges?

Of course there is another theory---which I had to check out and verify for factuality--and I found it-- your post #31--on 12/14/05---the naked girl friend method of preventing ink from getting on clothing---could
that have caused certain inattention to proper refill proseidure?

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
One of the problem black pigment carts ran empty today.I replaced it with a virgin HC with no problem.
Filled it, in/out on the printer and nozzle test ok from the start.Printed a text file no problem.

Danny Kiwi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
After two Print heads I have came to the conclusion that Pixma 4000/5000,s don't like third party Pigment based Ink.
The other colors work fine, even the black dyed based BCI -6BK,but that Oll 3BK with its one Picolitre tolerance is fussy...Ok I can hear Granddad and all the refillers in North America hallowing"But I have never had any problems with third party Pigment Blacks"..perhaps the suppliers up in the States give a better product than they do down here in "Lil Oll New Zealand"
I would never ever again use non Canon Ink in my 3e-BK,s,however will continue to refill all my dye based colors
I have been very very Lucky and have had all my problems fixed under Canon Warranty and I can honestly say that they were all caused by using third party pigment blacks...
BTW, best wishes and "Kia Ora" as we say down here in New Zealand, to all the valued contributers to this Forum wherever you may be,,):):)

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Danny,

My i9900 (strictly a photo printer) may have 8 colors, but none of them are pigment based.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Pigments are not water soluble. When pigmented ink dries in the nozzles it will be harder to unclog. You need to print everyday to prevent it from drying out suddenly. An alternative is to refill with dye based black ink, which does work perfectly. The text will be true dark black, not grey. But it will not be as archival as pigmented black ink. It will not be as waterproof either. If you print stuff that will end up in trash bin in a couple of weeks, or days you can refill with dye black ink and save your expensive printhead. Most people won't do that only because Canon's OEM is pignebted ink so they want the same. Some of them print a page or two a week only. As a result their print head will be more likely clogged by 3rd party pigmented black ink.

Danny Kiwi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Do you think Canon try to unblock print heads, or just put another one in in a warranty situation??
Can they get so blocked that they are unblock able.or with perseverance and the right knowledge are they salvageable??
TX

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I am certain they can be unclogged if proper procedure is followed with the right cleaner. But it is much harder to unclog the black nozzles that run pigmented black ink. It is in general more difficult for a printer owner to succeed. Canon will give you a new one if you are covered by warranty. I believe Canon doesn't salvage print heads.