Canon All-in-one PIXMA MP130

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
For me, I would try to avoid an all in one model. It doesn't support individual ink tanks, and it consumes more power, because if you just want to print a page, you have to power the whole machine, including the other features, when you don't need them.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
My personal preference is to select a separate unit for each function based on the result I want to achieve from each. I want excellent quality photos, copies that are as close as possible to the original, and high resolution scans for reproduction and possible correction of old photos. I have the space in my home office and can justify the expense to do this.
All in one units are fine for a person who 1) doesn't have the space for separate units, 2) is a casual user of each function and can't justify the expenditure required for separate units, and 3) isn't as critical about the quality of each function but needs occasional basic output from each function. There are compromises, a few of which were mentioned by BlasterQ. There is the possibility that if one function goes down you may not be able to use the unit for any function. Using inkjet technology is slower and more costly per page than electrostatic copy machines or laser printers for black text printing. Having pointed out the negatives, I would say that and all in one unit may be exactly what some people should buy. Buy the tool that does the job for you!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
This is a bit similar to my dilemma regarding buying the VCR / DVD in one unit vs. buying them separate. I found that buying them separate was much cheaper and if the DVD broke I didn't have to also get a new VCR. I could just replace whichever unit stopped working.

I feel the same way about the all in one units. I'd rather buy them individually and replace them individually.

Also, if they truly don't have separate ink tanks for each color, that would instantly be a deal breaker for me.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
By the way, it doesn't have a fax. I though all-in-one units always had a fax. Sounds like a some-in-one ;)

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hello to all, this is my first post here!

I found this board after searching for "canon compressed air printhead", keywords I was inspired of from amygdala tickler's Neil Slade site at http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inkjetstuff11.html.

Although the topic is a bit dated, I think it would make for an interesting debate about the pros and cons of multifunctional versus separates.

I prefer multifunctionals.

1) They provide higher quality than printers and scanners at the same net price because they economize by using common parts (such as the power supply). For example, my Canon Pixma MP750 combines a Pixma ip4000 and an excellent 4800x2400dpi scanner with auto sheet feeder. This combination of separates would cost MUCH higher than the price I paid for my multifunctional.

2) Multifunctionals make for nice all around color/BW photocopiers. You don't even have to connect them to a computer for that function. Just insert your original, press copy and you're done.

3) Multifunctionals needs less space, less USB ports and less power outlets.

There are only two negatives:

1) If a multifunctional part breaks, you have to send it for repair which results in temporary loss of the other functions. One may live without a scanner, but how is one to live without a scanner and a printer and a fax and a photocopier?

2) Multifunctionals make less sense when serious photography is required. You need the best scanner and the best photo printer? Buy separates :)

If one ponders to buy a multifunctional such as the MP130, then the answer is a definite yes. Obviously we are not talking at professional photography at this price!!!

And yes, its cartridges can be refilled: http://www.enderlin-direkt.com/spa/pages/e/ink/canon.htm#bc20/21

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
panos, welcome to the forum and thanks for the post. I tend to agree with your points, both your pros and cons.

Personally though I'm glad I've stuck with separate units as it seems to fit my needs better. If I had a job that required me to make copies more often then I'd probably go with a laser multifunction. I also tend to replace scanners, printers, etc. fairly often (not because they brake, but because I want to test / try something different).

Honestly though, the comments I've read here and also seeing my friend use his laser all-in-one makes me second guess my decision. :)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
panos, one other question. You said you found the forum by searching for "canon compressed air printhead" right? Did you do a search on that phrase and found Neil's site and then linked from his site here (he has a link to the forum from his ink pages) or did you find the forum directly from a search?

Interestingly enough, when you search Google for "canon compressed air printhead" Neil's page is #1 and then the forum is #2.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Understandable. Actually I was considering a Xerox laser multifuctional before buying the inkjet... But then I've decided that color, the duplexer and CD-printing make up for a monochrome laser's speed and text quality...

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
No, I didn't find a link at Neil's site. My idea was that any page with these four keywords would be very close to what I was looking for. This forum is _PRECISELY_ was I was looking for :)

I have a passion for refilling, finding new ideas and breaking things up you see!!!