Canon 9500 Pixma pro, need new printing software advice

Paul Mohney

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
SoCal between downtown disney and down town L.A.
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii
My first ex wife gave me a new Pixma pro 9500 before she died, two years ago. It is the first grownup printer I have ever had, or wanted. So I've learned, what little I know about ink jet printing from this and Photo Shop 14 elements .
I'm not a big PS user but I have friends who are, and for exchange of favors they will fish me out of most of my Oh C**p moments.
The printing features in PS, are rich, and extensive. Working with RAW files, in a 16 bit environment, and making what ever comes out of the printer mine.
Long story short. I've managed to bugger PSE14 up, and it won't start, as i nicked at least on dll while cleaning out Dropbox.
I don't have a physical copy of it to reinstall, and Adobe no longer has the file in their data base.
SO, now what?
I currently use an Alienware laptop with win 7 ( 4 core 2.4Ghz processor with 8Gb of ddr), I have a new computer in the works, but it's going to be a minute or two . I still don't know which windows to up grade to.
SO what are my options?
Is there such a thing as a physical copy of PSE14? If there were I could fix the problem and print with that till the new build is done.
SO talk to me.
What software do you print with? What is needed to effectively print with it?
For better or worse, I run Windows, been using it since windows for Work Groups 3.11,
So which of the currently supported versions is needed to run it? If you have a version of Adobe CE, that will run on 7 I'd like to hear about it. If there is a stash of PSE14 DLLs some were I . that might work. I'm going through printing withdrawal, and I have more paper coming from Red River, that needs ink on it.
Thanks for the thought
Paul

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Adobe software - Photoshop, Lightroom etc are very feature rich packages covering all functions from RAW conversion to printing, I don't like this 'all in' aproach so much and rather use Qimage as a dedicated program for print output
www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/
Its handling - the user interface - is somewhat different to other Windows software, but once you get over it it's easy, it gives me all functionality for printing I need.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There seems to be a disagreement on whether PS Elements 14 works with Windows 10. Adobe says YES:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/windows-10-compatibility-faq.html

While you will find people who do not like or will not install Windows 10, IMO it is the best iteration of Windows so far from a stability and functional view point. It can have issues with a small proportion of users with certain updates, hence the deep dislike some have. However, you will have 30 days from day of installation of Windows 10 to completely revert back to you old OS.

You may still be able to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10:

https://www.howtogeek.com/509087/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-to-windows-10-for-free/

Various things to try for your PS Elements 14 issue...

1) You need to have an Adobe Account for this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/phot...be-photoshop-elements-14/td-p/10056767?page=1

2) I was able to bring up a download link to PS Elements 14 here without an account (though I did not download it):

https://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-14-direct-download-links-premiere.html

3) You can try a System Restore to a point/date when PS Elements 14 worked. The problem with this is that any applications you installed or were modified AFTER that Restore Point may be wiped out - gone - no longer there. An example I experienced was saved User Name and Passwords in Roboform. So, you may consider backing up your data before restoring just in case.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I run WIN10 on a slower laptop with only 4GB, but you need an SSD.
120GB is very cheep nowadays and you can clone your actual drive to it before the upgrade, so you can revert back by changing the drive.

Paul Mohney

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii
Adobe software - Photoshop, Lightroom etc are very feature rich packages covering all functions from RAW conversion to printing, I don't like this 'all in' aproach so much and rather use Qimage as a dedicated program for print output
Its handling - the user interface - is somewhat different to other Windows software, but once you get over it it's easy, it gives me all functionality for printing I need.
they don't print for crap
PSE14 gave me control of the paper, who was in control of the printing.
how big is the paper, where do you want the image on it,, what paper are you using,
I currently have 3 programs Qimage, Gimp, raw therapee, and Light room classic, doing poorly what PSE14 did with relative ease.
Nothing is intuitive, too much crap any decent photographer doesn't need, with even the save to obscured in fluff and fancy.
One more time. Is there some where I can beg borrow or steal a physical copy of PSE14.

Last edited:

Paul Mohney

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 9000 pro Mk ii
doesn't print for crap
I have three programs doing not very well, what one program did with relative ease

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
One more time. Is there some where I can beg borrow or steal a physical copy of PSE14.
I reckon it’s time for you to seriously look at another Application for your photos, it’s very evident that no one here is using PSE14 and you’re not going to get another copy of it, if it had been available you would have received it by now.

Other members gave you a few good Apps. to consider but you poo pooed them without the slightest consideration, but unfortunately its you that’s now going to have to look at one of them as a contender to PSE14, I hate change too, but age has a way of creeping up on us all…
P.S. I have a copy of PSE from 1997 !

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Did you try the suggestions in my previous post? If so, then what happened? If not, then why not?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I reckon it’s time for you to seriously look at another Application for your photos, it’s very evident that no one here is using PSE14 and you’re not going to get another copy of it, if it had been available you would have received it by now.

Other members gave you a few good Apps. to consider but you poo pooed them without the slightest consideration, but unfortunately its you that’s now going to have to look at one of them as a contender to PSE14, I hate change too, but age has a way of creeping up on us all…
P.S. I have a copy of PSE from 1997 !

I still must have one or two CD's with PSE8 that came with second hand PRO9500II's.
Also versions 12 and 15 but I seldom used them, I prefer Lightroom.
I remember some install issues with dll's but the solution was not difficult to find.

Anyway, to install the software you need a license key.
I keep records of the keys of all my software, invaluable for reinstallation or upgrade.

Latest posts