Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi PeterBJ,
Thank you for replying.
I tried your tip but still could not get into service mode :(
I was able to get into service mode using the instructions described in MG6120 service manual (Turn off printer. Press and hold On button, press Stop 5 times then release Power button). The printer was connected to my laptop with a USB cable; no other printer was connected. I tried many service tool versions: 1074, 3200, 3400... Each time I pressed "EEPROM" in order to get a printout of EEPROM info. Every the service tool version hung after the "EEPROM" command was initiated, no error popped up. Now, the printer refuses to go into service mode. Disconnecting the printer overnight and trying again do not help either. I think it's permanently screwed up.

I searched the web for the MG6120 service manual to look at the instructions for entering service mode, but I only found links to paid downloads. If you have a link to a free download, please post it here, else could you please copy and paste the instructions here?

The reason I'm asking for the service manual or the procedure for entering service mode, is that the procedure for entering service mode in this manual seems different from the procedures in any other Canon service manual I have seen, and I have seen many manuals and performed quite a lot of service mode operations on various Canon printers. I think the manual might be wrong; errors in some Canon service manuals do exist.

It looks to me like the procedure described doesn't have the step one from all other service manuals that I have seen:

1. With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop button/sensor, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the buttons.)
2. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the ON button, release the Stop button. (DO NOT release the ON button.)
3. While holding the ON button, press the Stop button 5 times, and release the ON button. (Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green.)
4. When the Power LED lights in green, the machine is ready for the service mode operation (nothing is displayed on the LCD).

I suggest you give the procedure above a try. I have a strong suspicion that the procedure from the service manual for the MG6120 is wrong. But this printer also seems to have touch sensors instead of traditional push buttons, so maybe the procedure in the service manual for entering service mode is correct for these printers. Once again, please copy and post the procedure from the MG6120 manual.

Normally if service mode operations are attempted on a printer that is turned on, but has not entered service mode an Error 006 window pops up:

Error 006.jpg

If I open a service tool and no printer is connected to the computer or the printer is not turned on, everything in the service tool window is greyed out, and the program does not respond to clicking any buttons, and no error messages pop up. So is your service tool window greyed out?

Here is the window for the service tool ready, click to enlarge:

Service tool ready.jpg

And here for the service tool greyed out, click to enlarge:

Service tool greyed out.jpg

Maybe something is wrong with your downloaded service tools, you could try to download from the source mentioned in this post by Tudor: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-service-tool-v2000.6615/#post-49791 You don't need to download all the service tools, only download the newest version 3400.

My newest printers are the iP3600 and MP540, both of the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 generation and your printer is newer and has sensor fields instead of push buttons, and the service manual seems nowhere to be found. But in the service manual I have for newer printers the procedure for entering the service manual is the same as for the older printers. The only difference is the number the stop button is pressed to enter service mode. For most older printers it is 2 times, and for most newer printers it is 5 times, so you could try the procedure above with both 5 and 2 times pressing the stop sensor.

I wonder if Canon introduced a shut down procedure for entering service mode if a wrong sequence of button pushes is executed too many times, like too many wrong attempts of entering your PIN code at an ATM terminal?

I don't understand this shutting down of service mode entry, did you perform any test prints from service mode, when the printer seemingly was able to enter service mode?

@The Hat could this also have happened to your Pro-1? I wonder if a secret code could then unlock service mode again?

Thien

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mg6220
Hi Peter,
Here is the link to the Mg6120 service manual https://www.mediafire.com/?e6hi5oge96eecg7
Also, this is the site where i got it, for really cheap ($7 for 62 downloads of manuals!).
I have tried your suggestion three times but service mode did not come up.
I was able to get into service mode with the instructions provided in the mg6120. Now I can't any more. The printer just hangs up with the orange light (with the lighting bolt) lights up. I have to pull the plug to get it shut down.

When I was still able to get into service mode, I did initiate "test print," the service tools just hung up. Nothing was greyed out, by the way. I had to use task manager to kill the process.
Now, since the service mode can't be initiated, all the service tools are greyed out.
By the way, When I tried pressing STOP 1,2,3,4,7,8,9,10 times, the printer does not go into service mode, but it's simply turned on. When I tried 5 and 6 times, it hung with the orange light lit up.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you very much for the service manual link. I have just downloaded it and checked the procedure for entering service mode and I must admit it is as you described. Now the big question is: Does this procedure also apply to the MG6220? The service manual for this printer would be a great help if it could be found.

I don't understand and has never experienced the service tools hung up, That is why I suspected your downloaded service tools might be corrupted or infected. The files provided by Tudor are OK and safe.

As the service mode operations and service tools are only for the service technician, and not allowed for the user, and officially does not even exist, I wonder if there is a limit to the number of times the service mode can be accessed on newer printers?

I have never experienced the problem you have with service mode on my older printers, so sadly I'm out of ideas :( Maybe others have solved the problem with this new printer? Anyone?

The link to a service manual for one of the new printers with sensor fields is a valuable contribution to the forum. Could you also please post the link here?: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/links-to-service-manuals-post-them-here-sticky.5071/ or allow me to post a link, of course giving you credit for finding the manual.

I'm a collector of service manuals, you never know when you will need one, so could you also give me the link to the paid downloads, 7$ for 62 manuals. I might be lucky and find some very much sought after manuals?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thien

My Pro 1 could enter Service mode prior to the Firmware Up-grade that was applied to it but not afterwards, so did you upgrade your firmware by any change ?

The Pro 1 just hangs after I have pressed the resume button the required 5 times and only by pulling the power plug will it be released from suspension Mode (Lock out) and then this will allow it to power back on again.

Thien

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mg6220
You're welcome to post the Mg6210 manual so that others can make good use of it :)
5€ = 7$ and 13 cents, I remember from my last purchase. The exchange rate is not fixed though.
Thank you for your time in helping me solving this problem, Peter. Right now, I am looking for the firmware 3.030 for MG6220, I am hoping that re-flashing the firmware may help (I repair digital cameras and sometimes re-flashing firmware did help). Funny though, my printer already has version 3.030 but Canon website only provides 3.020 (?).
Since the printing functions are still normal, I suppose I can move on. One day the manual for MG6220 will be available, eventually, and perhaps it can help bring back the service mode, given that the printer is not permanently damaged in some way and that Canon actually puts limit on how many times service mode can be accessed.
BTW, I am looking for RELIABLE refilled ink cartridges suppliers. Do you happen to know one or two? I am looking to buy professionally refilled CLI-226 and CLI-225, so that no problem will be incurred on the print head.

Could the relatively inexpensive download site be this, 5€ = 7$, ?: http://www.servicemanual.ws/price-table.asp

Thien

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mg6220
Thien

My Pro 1 could enter Service mode prior to the Firmware Up-grade that was applied to it but not afterwards, so did you upgrade your firmware by any change ?

The Pro 1 just hangs after I have pressed the resume button the required 5 times and only by pulling the power plug will it be released from suspension Mode (Lock out) and then this will allow it to power back on again.
Hi The Hat,
I did not upgrade my firmware :(. I am looking for firmware 3.030 to re-flash though, in hope that it will help get back service mode.

Thien

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mg6220
BTW, what is the correct way to escape service mode? The service tool interface (ver 3400) does not have a QUIT-like option, nor did the LCD of MG6220 when it was in service mode (just gray empty). Too late to ask... but still I want to know...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess you are mixing up service mode and service tools. First the printer must enter service mode, then service mode operations are performed using a service tool.

Service mode is entered by using a push button sequence on the printer. The service tool is then opened and used for performing the service mode operations. After having performed the service mode operations, you quit service mode by turning off the printer using the normal on/off button. If no service mode operations are possible and you have to pull the power cord to quit service mode, something is wrong. Most likely the printer never entered service mode.

After you have turned off the printer you close the service tool. The service tool can neither let the printer enter nor leave service mode.

Maybe the printer entered service mode properly and the service tool was fully functional? The service tools, especially the older versions are slow to respond, so maybe you just didn't wait for the selected operation to complete? In the first post in the service tools thread I wrote:

...Click the "test print" on main tab and the the text is greyed out. Now wait for the familiar style test print with extended nozzle check etc. Don't panic even if it seems to take forever.. You will eventually get the printout..

and:

...You may now proceed with service mode operations. Click the "EEPROM" button on the main tab. This produces the EEPROM info printout, you also get the option to choose paper source for this printout. This operation also takes long time to finish...

But why did you enter service mode on a 3 week old printer? Did you have problems with clogged nozzles and wanted the testprint with its extended nozzle check?

Service mode can in no way correct a low ink warning, and it should not be able to. This warning is serious and you should be prepared to change the cartridge soon, when you get the out of ink warning.

Only a resetter can make the cartridge chip read full again. This reset should of course only be done on a cartridge you intend to refill.

The service tools are powerful tools that can cause damage to the printer or render it inoperable if not used properly. Normally only the Testprint and the EEPROM print functions should be used. Avoid all other functions. Only use the ink absorber reset if you intend to clean or replace the absorbers. Resetting the absorber counter will allow you to continue printing if the printer has stopped printing due to the absorbers being full, but resetting a counter does not make the ink disappear. You risk a nasty ink overflow if you reset the counter without changing or cleaning the absorbers.