cannon i560 bottom half of a pass across the page missing in black

smith_4

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Canoni560. It's been very loyal.

In the past 6 months, we print often (1-2x/week).

We print in black only (or rather "greyscale")

Cartridge BCI-3eBK is 1/3 full.

About 4 days ago, the bottom half of a pass along the paper was missing for every page doesn't matter the file or application.

TRIED (in this order)

1) cleaning and deep cleaning functions - printing = no change

2) Manual clean of the printer head with water, papertowel. It took close 3 hours (soaking, rinsing, drying with a bit of isopropyl and compressed air). Also took out some gunk around the cleaning area with a small flat head screwdriver. printing = NO CHANGE.

3) ran cleaning = no change

4) ran deep cleaning = Printer now prints nothing.

5) Checked cartridge - is now about 1/8 full from 1/3. It's not blocked, easily makes a full black circle on papertowel.

6) Checked print head again, inspected the bottom = The bottom of the print head shows ink all along the linear slot for the black ink to come out.

7) Cleaned contacts with electrical contact cleaner on the print head and matching printer contacts = no change.

I suspect an electrical problem, but what, and why? I`m not prepared to go buy a new cartridge since the same problem occured after cleaning the head and the cartridge blots evenly.

Does someone know how I can fix this bottom half of the black pass missing? It's exactly half of the pass on every pass with a perfect line where its printing and not printing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The only way I suspect to fix your problem is to get a new print head.

So your suspicions were correct it is an electrical problem, but when the print head its only printing half
then there is usually no way back unfortunately sorry.. :(

Tom Hock

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You may still get some use from this printer if you select something other than plain paper from the "Media Type" drop down menu ( but keep using plain paper .... just fool the printer as to what you are using ). The pigment black will not be used then, and the dye based color inks will be conbined to make the greyscale.

smith_4

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
^great.

@ THE HAT. What do you recommend to replace this? option A being just a solid inkjet print and option B being one with a good scanner one top.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
smith_4 said:
^great.

@ THE HAT. What do you recommend to replace this? option A being just a solid inkjet print and option B being one with a good scanner one top.
I am not the best one for advice on Nifty because I dont like All-In-One printers,
I prefer the printer and scanner separate always have.

I have an i865 for more than ten years and had to replace the print head on it too
and now its good for the next couple of years I would hope.:love

If you need a colour printer and cant do without one then I would suggest you get a replacement print head
(Expensive yes) but its a great printer and worth every cent.

If your printing needs are few and far between then choose a laser printer (Greyscale only)
it will serve your needs for years without giving the slights bit of trouble.

Choose slowly carefully and wisely because your choice to change may be incapable of doing
the thing it was bought to do in the first place, buy cheap pay twice.. :fl