Cannon errors, more in-depth look.

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Wanting to pick the brain of anyone that knows a bit about Cannon and how they operate.

I have 2 Cannon pro 100 printers.

1) My original printer that was turned off and never game back on.
2) a donor printer know to have print head issues.

Found a few interesting things that make little sense. Please tough I have read many thread on these printer and I'm aware of the normal replies. I'm looking for someone that had good scientific. info to add. For example, bad print heads destroying logic boards and visavera. Yes I get it we can not possibly know what Canaon did here but please, these are assumptions based on what some of us have seen. Of course assumptions maybe all we have :)

I have 2 logic boards ( type A is dead, type be has errors), these printer had 2 types. I'm still waiting on the more boards o I have 2 of each kind.
I have the legitimate maintenance tool.
I have 4 print heads.

I do not think the boards are interchangeable but unsure. If I take the board out of my donor and put it in the target printer, it comes up with errors. So I figure I will concentrate on the donor till I get my other type of logic board. This printer is mostly cleaned up and reset.
1) it goes in to maintenance mode with no errors.
2) in maintenance it prints a good test page.
3) I can reset the absorber.
4) I have a bad head that reports 5 blinks, and a good head that report no blinks. So at least I know one head is bad.
5) There is eeprom that holds the last 10 errors. The errors are b200 and 6910 and the repeat. the b200 claims its a bad print head but my guess is the main board has the issue.
If the head is bad how can it print a good test page?
The 6910 claims to be a network issue,
so? I do not use the network?
6) When I power up the printer normally, the driver says error 6910 So I'm guessing this is the error I need to work on but that does not really help much, the network is not in use.
7) The biggest issue I find in the errors, they stay in eeprom. If I move one logic board to another printer the errors follow it. I see no way to clear them out. So many of them could just be old errors. I think the way you are to work with this is to fix the first error in the list. Interestingly, and confirmed by another, if the printer is working these errors remain in eeprom. This is very pathetic. There is no way to get the errors out of maintenance mode. You must turn on the printer and let the OS tell you what is wrong. Though, here I am again though, 6910, but I'm not using any network settings.

I hate to think I know the most about this printer, because I feel pretty hopeless.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
From my own experience and reading others I think it will be a though job to make one good printer from 4 bad ones.

About the eeprom, I suppose you have the appropriate service tool ? (at least ST5204 according to this forum and my own experience with the PRO-10).
Some diehards reprogram the eeprom, you can find/make a tool for this and search a download from a working printer.

About errors, Canon printers are very organized machines, they follow a checklist at start and won't go further after the first bad check. This could be a rather stupid one (as paper sensor blocked, bad or empty cartridge) driving most users crazy (and abandoning the printer).

Try to think as the printer and good luck !

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
yeah I have the service tool, but is there a eeprom programmer too?

Interesting you say this. If I start up the printer in maintenance mode with paper in it, it get stuck. If I start without it does not, and then it prints a test page fine. I'm not sure why it gets stuck with paper in during maintenance boot.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
yeah I have the service tool, but is there a eeprom programmer too?

Interesting you say this. If I start up the printer in maintenance mode with paper in it, it get stuck. If I start without it does not, and then it prints a test page fine. I'm not sure why it gets stuck with paper in during maintenance boot.
The printer seems to work, what is your problem exactly then ?

No experience, but a eeprom programmer allows you to overwrite the memory directly with a clamp on the chip contacts.
No idea if this works for Canon printers but some people do it with graphic cards.
If you can get a "good" image it should allow you to repair a bricked printer.

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
The printer seems to work, what is your problem exactly then ?

No experience, but a eeprom programmer allows you to overwrite the memory directly with a clamp on the chip contacts.
No idea if this works for Canon printers but some people do it with graphic cards.
If you can get a "good" image it should allow you to repair a bricked printer

"The printer seems to work, what is your problem exactly then ? "-- Oh maybe i confused you? it works in maintenance mode, not in normal mode. You can printer test pages just fine from maintenance mode. Kinda tells me all aspects of the printer are working but hey...

but yeah, a programmer does exist, but I can not find one.

also not relevant to our correspondence but maybe helpful to another
https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Photo-Printers/Canon-Pro-100-B200/m-p/287912
Pinouts can be good to know .

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
You need to find eeprom chip on printer main board, then identify the chip and search for programmer for that chip. Then you make image from good board and flash the faulty chip. Also there are blank chips available for many eeprom chips online. Make sure you desolder the chip because otherwise programming can fail

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Long shot here but curios if anyone knows if it's possible to get the firmware updated.

In maintenance mode I can not get to the second step, but if I turn on the printer normally I do.

1681177574945.png

Though after hitting start it kicks out a generic error. I;m guessing because the printer is in an error state, but ironically I think the two times you want to update the firmware are (1) if you have troubles, (2) in maintenance mode. I'm loosing a bit of faith in Canon...

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
I was able to finaly find the board to my original printer and the replacement worked. Printer is %100 back to life. If anyone should need help with the 100 Pro do reach out, I learned a lot.