Can You print that File Photo..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have come across this same rumour again and again and never seem to get an answer to it, is it only with Epson or a combination of Mac O/S and Epson printers.

What I am referring to exactly is a limit size of file you can send to your printer, because I have yet to face such a stupid rule if it exists, can anyone confirm, I would hate to see it introduced on Canon printers..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
What is this size limit? I have had no problems printing a .jpg file of 21 MB on a Canon printer under Windows 8.1 and older.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@PeterBJ, this is what I am trying to establish, is it true or not and it’s obvious that you’ve not heard of it either.

I once rasterized an Illustrator file into Photoshop to print it smaller, again I had no problems with it even dough the file went to 2.8 Gig and took 30 Minutes to start printing in Win 7.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I print spool size like 800Mb to my Brother MFC-5895CW over LAN connection. No problems here on WinXP SP3

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think various system and software/driver related parameters need to be considered - e.g. are you running a 32 or 64 bit system? Would the driver be able to create temp files greater than 2 or 4 GB ?
Do you have other system related limits - e.g. disk space for temp files etc, so I think there is no simple and clear general answer to it - it all depends.....

Smudger

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IX6850, IP7250
It's down to the Graphics Display Interface and enhanced meta file (EMF) print spooler in your (Windows) operating system.

In Windows (7) clicking 'advanced/print direct to printer' bypasses the spooler if there are machine problems printing large files.

The size of the EMF spool file increases by four times if the dots-per-inch (dpi) in the file increases by two times. It was very prevalent with document files like Word or PDF's on older machines. It can eat disk space if the driver is set to save each print job for further printing.

I don't know about Macs though. We used to use one via a Fiery R.I.P., which took forty minutes to print A3 line art on a Canon laser.

Last edited: