Can someone interpret this nozzle check print for me? [pixma ip4500]

pingo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have a problem with my printer (ip4500) which prints a big streak where magenta should be applied. Below is attached an image of a nozzle check print where everything prints fine except lower half of the Magenta's first block is very bright and the lower halves of the letters are also printed incorectly.

Can anyone tell me what is the problem? The usual printer's cleaning and deep cleaning options don't fix it. What should I do to fix it?

Thanks for all the replies in advance.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Your nozzle check shows a lot of regular patterns that is indicative of electrical problems rather than clogged nozzles. The only hope of fixing it is to remove the print head and clean the contacts, but it probably won't help. The problem may be in the print head or in the printer or in both. The best thing you can do is take it to an authorized Canon service center and let them diagnose the problem. Hopefully, it can be fixed with a new print head. But if the problem is in the printer, then it cannot be fixed. Worse yet, electrical problems in print heads can create electrical problems in the printer so you take a risk if you try your print head in another printer or try another print head in your printer. That's why I recommend taking it to a service center.

pingo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Oh damn, is it even worth servicing or should I spend my money on a new one :/ ?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If your printer is less than 1 yr old, then you can have it fixed for free as it still is under warranty. of course. Occasionally, Canon will do repairs if the warranty period has just ended. It's worth a shot, and good luck!

Lezbee

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
can enyone help to how to order printhead for my ip4500,ip4600,ip4200 to my contry ghana?

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
This is the contact info of Canon USA: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ContactCanonAct

The fastest way to reach the part department is by calling. They will briefly ask you why you want to buy a print head. They will tell you that the new print head can not be returned and there is a possibility that it is not only the print head but the printer too that is causing your printing problem. They will ask you the printer model and tell you the price and shipping charge. I bought a print head for a mp780 recently. The total cost including tax and shipping was about $60. That's a very good deal. My mp780 is about 4 years old already. The print head was ruined because it was not used for too long. I did not realize that cartridges had dried up. After printing a few pages the printer started to complain with a message saying wrong cartridge. It was actually a message that says the print head is not recognized. The new print head fixed it and has been working great ever since.

pingo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok finally took the time to email my local Canon dealer, they would charge me just to take a look at it because it's not under warranty anymore and they charge a lot so if I don't manage to fix it I'll have to say goodbye to it :(. I'm using it now for only B&W text printing. Is there anything I could try at home that will not damage my printer but maybe help me find the problem?

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Did you uninstall the drivers and restart the computer and reinstall the drivers?
Are you using clean electricity or are you using a generator or some other form of power?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
pingo said:
Ok finally took the time to email my local Canon dealer, they would charge me just to take a look at it because it's not under warranty anymore and they charge a lot so if I don't manage to fix it I'll have to say goodbye to it :(. I'm using it now for only B&W text printing. Is there anything I could try at home that will not damage my printer but maybe help me find the problem?
If it were me and I wanted to continue to use the printer, I would just buy a new print head. In every case that I am aware of with the kind of nozzle check that you showed in post #1, a new print head solves the problem. You cannot fix it yourself (unless it is a bad contact on the back of the print head). You may be able to buy a new print head from your local Canon dealer to avoid shipping charges and they may have one in stock. They shouldn't charge you any labor or estimate fee.

pingo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well I discarded the idea of buying a print head after you stated that it might be also a printer problem. The dealer wants 69 EUR for the print head while a used but perfectly working pixma ip4500 printer can be bought for 60 EUR, what would you do?