Can original OEM Epson ink (designed for "ink tank" Epson printers) be used in a Epson Workforce Pro WF-7840 with original OEM cartridges?

JN832

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Workforce Pro WF-7840
Hello

Please allow me to explain what I'm asking if I've not made myself clear. I just bought a brand new Epson Workforce Pro WF-7840 and it will be arriving tomorrow.

I've done enough research to find out that I should "not" update the firmware (or at least be very careful) if I plan to use remanufactured ink cartridges because the firmware update could/will not allow the printer to work with them. At least that's my understanding.

So my question is this.

Once my brand new Epson OEM ink cartridges need to be replaced, can they be modified to inject "original Epson OEM ink tank" ink back into them? I understand there's a few other options like buying 3rd party cartridges etc...even removing the "chip" from my Epson OEM cartridge and attach them to that 3rd party cartridge and then using a resetting method on the chip so it will work properly.

I want to stay with Epson OEM ink but I absolutely refuse to get scammed with a few drops of ink they offer inside those original OEM cartridges. I would rathe buy the Epson OEM ink made for their "Eco Tank" printers and use that ink.

But I want to also use the "original Epson OEM ink cartridges" in my printer. So that means modifying the cartridges so they can be refilled with Epson Eco Tank ink.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Using Epson Ecotank inks does not pose a problem when using them in other printers. But I'm not familiar whether OEM Epson cartridges can be refilled for your printer and whether a resetter is available in the first place.

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, 3800/80, R2400, 7880
Reposting my reply from welcome post!

Epson cartridge has not been modifiable since the last decade unless you have the Pro series with ink bag. You only option is aftermarket with Epson. You are welcome to explore and teach us on your success or failure. From my research, WF-7840 has no chip resetter or auto reset chip. You have to keep buying one time use chip. For chipless solution, you are looking at spending +$300 for chip programmer, programming and soldering: not worth it. The printhead on PrecisionCore are absolute junk in term of clog and failure due to their high nozzle count per channel and compactness and smaller nozzle. WF-7840 was recent onsale for $145 new and I still turn it down. Try to buy a WF-7720/WF-7620 where you can still get chipless solution ( $30) or using arc. I am current buying x3 printhead from a reputable buyer in china for my WF-7720. Like I said earlier, the only nice thing with WF-7840 is the better design of aftermarket cartridge. My have been hunting for better design of aftermarket cartridge for my WF-7720 since 2018. I am getting a shipment today to confirm that today! In addition, if my printhead order goes well with all good printheads, I will share the name of the seller on Ebay. Else, get Canon Maxify 2xxx series or 5xxxx series. You can use OEM carts for those Maxify.

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, 3800/80, R2400, 7880
It was a dud purchase of 252XL cartridge on Ebay: they send me cart with priming chamber. It does not match listing. Inkowl has no prime cartridges so I just ordered from them.

In addition, I also ordered a set of Maxify cartridge too because they are sealed/pressurize design with no priming or vent. They have spring loaded poppet valve so no worry on ink leak, and a clear shell so I can see remainder ink and not depend on ARC! My search is finally over! InkOwl cartridges are not pressurized design upon receipt inspection. Use OEM cartridges to refill! In addition, ColourCem aftermarket cartridges are pressurized design with spring loaded poppet valve: no tape needed after refill! Refill with those ColourCem aftermarkets after you spend your ink if you want! Very good quality refill cartridges and they do come with internal bag!

I just got my printheads from the "reliable/high rated" Ebay seller. Both came in dirty like cheap seller. Installed one printhead and it is fully clogged! I am cleaning externally. I think my optimism with WF-7720 might have come to an end soon lol. I will focus more on Maxify.

If you still have WF-7840, you need to reach out to Pharmacist. He has "2x Epson Workforce WF-7840 A3+ AIO original Epson 405 cartridges (soon with refillables + resetter)". I am copying and paste from his signature. I did not know Epson 405 fit with WF-7840? Nevermind, he is from the European market. US market users are screwed lol. You should look into the Ecotank. I have learned my lesson from my past purchase of 7720 and I am avoiding Epson for now because they use the newer PrecisionCore. I think Epson acknowledge this that is why they increased their newer PrecisionCore droplet (bigger nozzle) size from 2.8/3pL to 3.8pL. I believe some of the Ecotanks are utilizing precisioncore/AMC so do your research appropriately.

Last edited: